Many cars with fuel injection get a signal from the starter that is used to enrich the mixture for starting. If that's the case here you'll have to push the starter button while kickstarting it. And if the battery is low enough that it can't crank it I don't know if the fuel injection system will have enough current to operate.

Ask your dealer.

• 3 weeks later...

If it's a Retro or M70 model you might not be able to kickstart at all due to kickstarter lever clearance and not enough momentum to spin gearbox/engine.

All other models should kickstart.

Kick starting most anything [i do Not know about Japanese imports] does Not require Momentum, nor much force... and in general speed is not required nor desired..

A simple generous Push is Sufficient... on my Dnepr..my Ural, and Any British,Italian, I have had, or certainly my Harley's

Of Note;...most any other bike I have owned almost requires you to "get on stroke"... The Dnepr???? nah... it simply starts with an aggressive push... I am confident it will tick over with one kick right this minute, and I have not run it in over a Month

• 3 weeks later...

Can you kick it over once it’s warmed up? I don’t own an EFI bike and know next to nothing about them but I’ve owned several makes and models of bikes with kickers. I agree with Racepres in that it’s more about brains than brawn. I’ve got a kick only Harley that will start simply by touching the ignition points and my 2004 Ural I can start using the kicker with my hands and I’m quite fond of exclaiming “Jackpot!” once it’s running.

If you can kickstart your EFI bike once it’s warm then I believe we’d have established that kicking an EFI is possible. Then it’s only a matter of learning the technique. With most bikes it’s a matter of priming the cylinders by giving it a few gentle kicks with the ignition set to off. I’d suggest that with an EFI bike you’d want to have the key turned on so the fuel pump will run but turn the handlebar kill switch to off. Once you’ve done a couple prime kicks, turn the kill switch on. Give the kicker a gentle half kicks until you feel the kicker engaging at the top of it’s travel. Then give her hell. The trick is you want the engine to be at the top of a compression stroke.

Otherwise, I’d guess the only purpose the factory left them on was for turning the engine over for static timing.

I guess that alot depends on your EI and it's set-up... No Dead revs and Kicking is just like points!!!

if programmed for dead revs??? well... may and may Not be Kicker Friendly... most probably Not..

Who Knows if the new Ural EI/FI, is programmed for dead Revs????? and is it programable??

The Ducati from the '07 or so must Not have a Dead Rev feature...cause Mine kicks well!!!

JonLilley,

It's time to upgrade to 2020.

I get very much satisfied when I kick start a Ural. That's the part of fun game.

I had three different carbureted 650cc Urals and had no problem kickstarting them at 1st or 2nd kick, so there is no learning or technique I need to learn to kickstart a 650 or 750 pre 2013 bike. However, I couldn't kickstart 2014 EFI m70. And yes, I turned over the engine a few times before trying to give a good "momentum" spin to the gearbox from the top of that compression... no luck. Especially Retro and M70 kick lever hits the bumper-stop and won't let the gearbox spin... (tried it with warm, hot engine as well).

JonLilley,

It's time to upgrade to 2020.

I get very much satisfied when I kick start a Ural. That's the part of fun game.

I had three different carbureted 650cc Urals and had no problem kickstarting them at 1st or 2nd kick, so there is no learning or technique I need to learn to kickstart a 650 or 750 pre 2013 bike. However, I couldn't kickstart 2014 EFI m70. And yes, I turned over the engine a few times before trying to give a good "momentum" spin to the gearbox from the top of that compression... no luck. Especially Retro and M70 kick lever hits the bumper-stop and won't let the gearbox spin... (tried it with warm, hot engine as well).

I have 3000 miles on my 2019 Gear UP and have yet to succeed in kick-starting it. My 06 Tourist started well that way.