Yeah, I think it's about 12kph to change into 2nd. When the guy told me what he was

going to do, I explained that it had new pistons and rings and this 50 in 2nd was too

fast for this motor, he just said if I was worried about the test, I could call it off,

of course, they wouldn't be giving me my money back.

The other thing is, if the bike doesn't pass this noise test, it doesn't matter if the motor

blows up, I won't be allowed to use it on the road anyway, rock and hard place!

Did you show the stupid Bastard the Speedo...it is Not recommended!!!

If they are that stupid they are all up... start in 2nd and at least you'll be in 3rd!!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the testers are used to high RPM motorcycle engines.

They need to be reminded your bike is more like a tractor!

Damn them!!

I would be interested to see their written test protocols that lead them to think 50kph in 2nd gear is anywhere near "real world" for your machine.

RN

I know it's not mega-high revs, Propwash, it's just that I haven't really run the

motor in as I haven't been able to drive on the road, but I'm not that worried

about running it at that speed for a short time.

Russ, the thing is, while the MT is 1960's technology, the bike was first registered

in1980, and as such, must fullfil the requirements for a 1980 bike

which is 80dB at 50kph in 2nd gear.

While this seems unreasonable, I was told by 4 separate motorcycle importers

(one of which imports Dneprs) that it would be impossible to register a 1980 MT10/36

in Switzerland so I think the vehicle expert in the test centre was actually giving me a fair chance.

And I am looking on it as a challenge to use the loophole.

I'll keep you posted

Thanks very much for all replies.

Ride safe

Jim

Hi Jim. Sounds like pretty strict guidelines. Couple things that I think might help is to wrap the pipes in the asbestos wrapping cloth, and to change to street tires for the drive by if you dont already have them on. Retard the timing slightly sometimes gives a more subdued sound. Take off the sidecar for the drive by , if your allowed to test without.They can add a significant amount of noise while travelling. Pack some foam around the air filter to muffle the breathing of the carbs some may help. Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, guys

just a quick update.

I have tried everything that I can think of. Got the bike running as quiet as I can and covered everything in soundproof

foam including home made side panels and sidecar. Cork blocks between cylinder head fins and teflon washers

on the rockers, retarded timing. Had a test run yesterday and measured sound level at 84dB, so I`m not going

to take it for testing again. The bike is pretty quiet up til the revs get to about 3500 RPM then the noise level rises above 80dB

and they test it at 4200 RPM, I don`t think I have a chance.

The next step is to change the identity of the bike. What I need is a frame with a genuine set of papers. The bike needs to be

a MT 10/36 or MT9 registered before 1980, so 1979 or older. If anyone has a frame for sale with papers, please let me know.

ride safe

jim

The next step is to change the identity of the bike. What I need is a frame with a genuine set of papers. The bike needs to be

a MT 10/36 or MT9 registered before 1980, so 1979 or older. If anyone has a frame for sale with papers, please let me know.

ride safe

jim

Talk with Garbage Bear, he is able to find for you a frame with papers older than 1980.

ride safe

jim

Talk with Garbage Bear, he is able to find for you a frame with papers older than 1980.

^^^ This...Probably the best shot

If some Japper lovin Moron wanted to spin My Stroker to 4200 I would be Pissed!!! let alone my Dnepr... Absolute Idiots...