Is it a K750, or an M72?

Hi,

After many years of car-driving, I missed the flies in my teeth, and have recently bought another Russian combination (my last one was an IZH Jupiter).

The "new" one was bought as a 1964 K750 - and that is what it says on the maker's plate.

Now, though, I'm starting to have doubts:

The seats have a big, horizontal spring, like an M72, not rubber dampers;

The rear suspension is not swinging-arm, which it should be, according to the photos on b-cozz.com ;

The sidecar front light is the same as on an M72 sidecar.

Now, I know that a lot can change over 55 years. For instance, over the years, it's been fitted with a Chiang Jang gearbox, Ducati ignition, Nippon Denso generator, and the wheels are from a Ural.

But plunger suspension is pretty permanent, I would have thought, and the maker's plate is fixed to the (plunger) frame, so what is going on?

Let's face it, I never was a shining light where mechanics are concerned - the biggest job I ever undertook by myself was replacing the pistons on my old Speed Twin (and that was a looong time ago) - but should I be looking for a K750 workshop manual, or one for an M72?

The Swedish guy I bought it off just said, "It's all the same ######!" (when he says something is "######", he usually means that it's good), but I'd appreciate a second opinion, if anyone can spare a moment.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, looks as if I've got a hybrid!

After looking more closely, the dataplate shows signs of having been forced off (something else) and then pop-riveted onto my frame.

I checked against the number stamped into the rear frame, and that looks very much like someone has tried to change it.

The first digit is clearly a "7", where the plate says "2", the next two digits more or less agree with the plate, but have been bashed about, and the last digit is so mashed up it's illegible.

So, now I have to check what bits come from which model before I order any more spares.

A K750 brake light switch spring is about 3x too long, for starters.

More of a pain, though, is that I've just bought a steering damper for a K750, so I'll just have to hope that it will fit an M72 - Ural-Hamburg's online catalogue shows the M72 damper as having fewer components.

As for the sidecar, after comparing photos of the step, I realised that it is in fact a Chang Jiang. Ho-hum.

If anyone knows whether a K750 steering damper will fit an M72 frame, I'd appreciate the benefit of your superior knowledge!