• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo! Cleaned contacts with 400 grit paper and charging kicked in immediately.  Trouble is it idles at about 13v and increases to 17v with revs.  So it occurred to me that I could extend my incredible record as the dumbest motorcycle mechanic into 2021 by attempting to adjust the contacts while it was running and immediately shorted the regulator when the screwdriver slipped.  Ok, it’s just a fuse.....but out of fuses.....swap in the auxiliary light fuse just for now....Try adjusting tomorrow.

Thanks for reminding me to clean the contacts!

715C06B8-F8BD-4018-9DA7-A82DB2259024.jpeg

Yes... my yes... anything over 14v is excessive IMO... an intelligent employee of a "prominent" battery company once told me that the number one killer of lead Acid batteries... is Over-charging

My experience at the drag strip Proved this out... before i educated myself...

BTW... Never thought of adjusting "hot"... but ... now that you have given a report... I may Avoid that method...

Yes, I believe 14 v is about right, 17v will destroy the battery.  I couldn’t get it to regulate today, still hovers around 17 v no matter what adjustments I try.  I may have damaged it when I shorted it with the screwdriver, the coil wires are a very light gauge. I ordered a new one along with a packet of fuses for fifty Canadian dollars.  I guess it’s a total loss system for the next month... that cheap 5 dollar digital voltage readout stopped working too, I guess it will be the racepres early warning system for me now.  
Went for a 50k ride, bike is running very well other than the front brakes which are next to non-existent.  I can lock the rear.   Need a drum machining and new shoes up front...

• 1 month later...

I spent this Saturday trying to improve the front brakes but I’m not sure if I made progress.  The original hub needs machining, brake shoes contact every half cycle so I kept swapping in wheels from sidecar and spare until I found the best hub.  Turns out that the best hub of all was in need of new bearings so I transferred over new bearings and seals from another wheel and kept adjusting the relative position of the brake shoes via the threaded compression rod until they bite into the drum simultaneously.  I cleaned surfaces well after prepping both shoe liners and drums with 120 grit, and went for a test ride.  Still disappointed with the braking power.  Any advice?  ND.

Finally received a new PP330 regulator today from the Ukraine, some spare fuses and centre stand return springs which I’ve compensated for with bungee cords....

Hopefully this is the end of running a total loss system.  I tested new brakes arrangement in the dark the other night but it’s one thing running a coil off the battery and another thing running lights too.  I’m hoping for proper charging in the coming days.  I also ordered a cheap handlebar voltmeter to keep an eye on progress.

2B59DEC7-4FCD-45BA-8AE6-26072FFA2EB2.jpeg

55EE63D8-909D-42E2-9CCA-40DCC73C9B81.jpeg

Installed the new regulator and tested voltage, everything seems good.  Charging kicks in with revs as it should, although the voltage fluctuates between 14 and 15v, maybe a bit high.  I’ll take it for a ride today to see if it settles into a happy spot, it’s mechanical after all.   

The low voltage light is working as well for the first time.  Just have to get the neutral light working and then electrics will be complete.   Except the low beam stopped working, might need a new P45T.  Such is Dnepr world,  you get close to repairing everything but something else creeps into the mix...

FF6AB2C7-CA61-4428-8C19-4E1E827B6B13.jpeg

Did 50 km today, cold and freezing temperatures.  The roads are salted here so the Dnepr came back covered in salt and not good for corrosion.... Russian iron rusts in a blink.   Good news is the new regulator controls voltage around 14v and the charging system is working.

F17AE45C-13FD-4551-9093-12BF63D56886.jpeg

21 hours ago, Northernduck said:

Did 50 km today, cold and freezing temperatures.  The roads are salted here so the Dnepr came back covered in salt and not good for corrosion.... Russian iron rusts in a blink.   Good news is the new regulator controls voltage around 14v and the charging system is working.

That's great! I added a volt meter to my Dnepr to keep an eye on charging. It's right next to an oil pressure gauge. I think Dnepr should have made those standard. 

As for salt, you just need to wash it with soap and water. I'm lucky they don't salt the roads here in Alabama. On the rare occasions it snows overnight they just call it a holiday (snow day) and everyone stays home to enjoy the snow because it will be gone that evening. Here in Alabama some bikers park their bikes in mid July to the end of August because of the hot temperatures, especially motorcycles with air cooled engines.