Best Octane for 1957 M72

I run whatever Crap gas is available in the Dnepr...no Ill effects..

Having and had, many old Harleys..I do Not feel Octane is any issue...unless you experience detonation..

In truth too much octane is a bad thing... Don't gotta believe me...look it up..

The octane locally is "enhanced" by adding more Alcohol... Not what I want!!!

89 Octane works fine in 99% of the engines I have!!! Lead??? Not really necessary either.. and can also be a Bad Thing..

These are Not Racing Engines!!!!

I run whatever Crap gas is available in the Dnepr...no Ill effects..

Having and had, many old Harleys..I do Not feel Octane is any issue...unless you experience detonation..

In truth too much octane is a bad thing... Don't gotta believe me...look it up..

The octane locally is "enhanced" by adding more Alcohol... Not what I want!!!

89 Octane works fine in 99% of the engines I have!!! Lead??? Not really necessary either.. and can also be a Bad Thing..

These are Not Racing Engines!!!!

Thanks everyone for their comments. I wanted to visit this topic because fuel technology has changed since this bike was built in 1957. Has the fuel advancement helped my bikes performance and engine wear?...it seems NOT. Lead additives? Could be useless but it seems reasonable to use it...just an extra touch of love. Choice of the owner. Here she is running with the original carbs put back on..95 octane and lead addititve.

• 3 weeks later...

Since this topic has come up.....Ive done a little research. Seems very few that assert that lead has no lubricating effect can not quantify or care to expound proofs otherwise. On the same note there are few proofs to the contrary. Did note that one enviromental chemist who wrote a paper for Columbia university Jo Niragu asserts it to be a lubricant. Although I must admit a unconventional one. Not to reduce friction but like teflon to not allow deposits to adhere or " stick" to surfaces. Those that hold to one or the other overall would have a hard time showing imperical truths. Hope that helps.

Long ago...when unleaded was mandated. Gloom and doom was predicted upon our beloved Ironhead, Shovelhead, and older Harleys, as well as our British rides etc...

Many Unscrupulous "shops" and some simply un-knowing, made a bit of cash "converting" engines to Unleaded spec. [valve seats, among other other parts]. Many of us did not Panic, taking a "wait/ride/see" attitude...Most of us still have those same old Bikes..

Some of the converted ones were done poorly, and the seats failed!! Unmolested ones...like Mine are just fine thank you.

Matters Not what Lead does Scientifically...Matters what it's Worth is!!!

One Note...It is a Fact that the first introduction of fuel grade Lead, increases Octane exponentially...Now that is a Good thing... If [big Word] you Need more Octane...My Russians do Not.

I can see your point there.it does seem to not being an issue overall when taking into consideration that these older vehicles are not pushed or used quite as hard as newer ones.Some minor adjustments with minimal reduced performance would probably suffice in most cases for unwanted effects of not using it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

For what it is worth, Amoco premium gasoline introduced in the 1960s was unleaded. My understanding is that you can run modern unleaded gasoline in older engines, i.e. those developed before the mandate of unleaded gas without any negative impact on the engine as long as the octane level is correct.

For what it is worth, Amoco premium gasoline introduced in the 1960s was unleaded. My understanding is that you can run modern unleaded gasoline in older engines, i.e. those developed before the mandate of unleaded gas without any negative impact on the engine as long as the octane level is correct.

Octane should never be a problem with yer Russian... remember that Octane Resists Pre-ignition... in fact Alcohol resists Ignition and has less energy [won't pre-ignite] so... more alcohol = more octane [effectively]

More octane does Not equal anything more than "won't Light"!!!

Stick with Cheap unleaded regular and be happy...

Weren't these machines built to run on Vodka?

RN

Mine was Not... Tried some pretty good white Dog, and Not so Good!!!

The USSR was probably making Gasoline... probably not the Best... but still Gasoline..

Later, I will put larger jets into it, and try the "shine" again!!!! Maybe too Lean... I'm guessing they need Lots!!!!