Dneprmatic gearbox missing 4th gear

smoothmachines

Hi, how on earth does my gearbox misses the 4th gear?

It is not adjustable and i´d very much like to keep the semi-automatic clutch feature.

1-2-3 and reverse, all go normally.

But then when shifting into 4th, nothing, or more like neutral.

Then shift down, to 3rd, no problem.

Has someone taken out the whole power plant and has been stealing gears out of my box?

Could it be worn forks or something?

I do have a complete, well working 4 speeds gearbox without reverse, are the gears the same?

My engine is a Dnepr 650CC MT9

Thanks!

That´s good, chewing a woodruff key with the gears is a dumb thing to do. I guess i will have to take it apart. I have a MT9 in a Ural 650 frame and the Dneprmatic box, the assy is very long så i will have to hoist the complete power plant out of the frame, and then come back. Lucky i am to have an extra 4 speed box...

The box is a MT804 btw. I´ve read about worn forks, thank you Razorlight, it said that as the movement is very small, 5mm, it would not take much of wear to render the shifting impossible.

The box is anyway leaking and i will even check overall wear. Fork set costs 35 euros or 40$, as well as for the bearings, and there are many other components that could be worn. A NOS box is 360 Euros, could be a better choice if many parts are worn and not easy to fabricate at the shop...

Not sure if epoxy paint would hold up in long run to standard Gl 5 gear lube or any non synthetic gear lube. Given the amount of sulphur in it.The test of time would be intetesting.It does eventually soften and lift on a garage shop floor if in continuos contact.