"LL" Fork and "2-wd conversion" 1994 Ural 650

• 2 months later...

Finally im back in business again after a minor set back, As you all know the pistons are made of butter and they had to "melt" eventually :blush2: I honed the cylinders and changed the pistons and rings, And everything is ok with my Ural again :cool:

I will keep you posted about the LL-Fork Project as soon as i get the fork :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

There are 3 different types of LL forks. Ural, Dnepr & Chang Jiang. The Ural ones have no support between the legs and are not very stiff. Be sure you clean all the paint out of the top yoke hole as the taper location doesn't work if they have been painted. Going from memory, Dnepr has one stiffener between the legs and the Chang Jiang ones I have in the garage have two. If I had a bike with the Russian LL forks I'd seriously consider retrofitting a stiffener like on the Dnepr legs.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the info about the different types of LL forks available :-) I have just ordered mine from a man calling himself "Ural Timur" (Soviet Motorcycle Shop) On Facebook, It seems that he has a lot of new/used parts available for most russian bikes .. I payed 400usd for the fork, Shipping to Norway was included. I might consider customising the fork if needed :-)

• 3 months later...

Hi again :-) I got the LL-Fork, mounted it to the bike ..Very easy job ..Took about one hour from start to finish, But a friend to hold wires and things out of the way is a nice option.. Now i have about 1000 km of "highway/Off-Road" Driving experience with the fork, And my own personal opinion is that it is a better fork than the telescopic one all the way (At least for me and my driving). The first thing I noticed was the slightly increased ground clearence .. Then I noticed that the bike and I had a MUCH smoother ride on both gravel and asphault :-) I highly recommend this fork, Its a very good upgrade for the Ural :-) Now Im thinking about the 2WD conversion, A guy offered me a brand new 2WD setup with all parts needed .. Its not overly expensive, But i dont have that kind of money to spend on my Ural right now so I have to wait for a while .. Today im going to replace the ball bearings in the steering head with "Made in Japan" roller bearings.. I will let you know how that adventure turns out ;-) :cheers:

So the two-wheel drive setup includes the required different sidecar frame, too?

Glad to hear the new LL fork change worked out OK.

~RN

• 2 weeks later...