Jump to content

Another Dnepr in da House.


DocSjulle
 Share

Recommended Posts

The MT9 I bought will take too long to fix up, and having got the sidecar fever, I found a much more complete MT10-36 to get quicker on the road.

 

This also needs some TLC and as both heads are broken, I have had to borrow from the MT9.

 

But after fixing the electrics, adding two more indicator lights to the bike, putting K68s on it, and cleaning and adjusting the brakes, it actually runs now.

 

Next step is to adjust the carbs at bit more, and punching the serial number in the hack, and then hopefully getting some plates on it.

post-46234-0-86430900-1441486676_thumb.jpg

post-46234-0-03968900-1441487051_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

So having both the MT9 and the MT10-36 non running, I decided it was time to rebuild the spare engine and gearbox.

 

Everything was cleaned and taken apart, and both engine and gearbox looked in good shape, needing only new bearings, seals, and of course a total rebuild of the cylinder and head.

 

I bought HQ parts to hopefully make it better and more reliable. FAG bearings, quality seals, Almot pistons, HQ valves and guides from Moto-Boxer.

 

I spent a lot of time cleaning the engine case, crank and rods for casting seams and general rough surfaces.

The rods were also balanced, and the new main bearings trimmed to fit perfectly.

 

The heads were mildly ported before installing new guides and getting the 3 angle valve seat job done.

 

The gearbox went together quickly, but the engine was assembled today because I had to wait a long time for the machine shop to bore the cylinders and cut the valve seats.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

You can seriously round off the valve pockets in the piston to improve low lift gas flow. Do what you did to the pistons to the sharp edges on the valves too and smooth off thesharp edges in the ports - a light radius about 1.5mm will do- don't go crazy. You will be surprised at the difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

You can seriously round off the valve pockets in the piston to improve low lift gas flow. Do what you did to the pistons to the sharp edges on the valves too and smooth off thesharp edges in the ports - a light radius about 1.5mm will do- don't go crazy. You will be surprised at the difference.

 

I didn't want to go to crazy on the pistons, as I was afraid to lower compression.

The ports have been smoothed out too, but not polished.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bike is running great now and I have just changed oils after the first 50km of riding.

 

After my first small test ride the engine broke down because one of the pushrods had become too loose, and gone past the adjustment screw in the rocker. This happened because I had not noticed the pushrod didn't fit the rocker adjustment screw, causing it to sit on the edge of the pocket in the screw, and not fully into the pocket.

Then when it was pounded to fit by engine, it became too loose.

The exhaust valve was also sticking so that might have added to the problem.

 

But after fixing those issue the engine is working perfectly, and there has not been any problems since, other than the usual adjustment of valves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...