The big IZH topic

arnaud

Hi everyone..

after owning a dnepr mt11, and many german and englisch bikes, i now only have 2 jawa's and an enfield.. and thinking for some time to get an izh- an older type, the type 2 is very nice, but would settle for a -4 also..

to keep the other bikes company..

But how to get one -secure- without getting a leg ripped off?

I already understood that the single-planeta- is the way to go.

But over here, in Holland, these bikes are very, very rare.. so also no experience..

I wonder what the weak spots of tehse machines are, and are spare parts a problem?

I heard spares are made in china since so many izh-és are still on the road?

I hope this topic is catching on..

I'm in the midst of rebuilding one at the moment. Here in Bulgaria they're still readily available & relatively cheap; about 200 euro for a (beat-up) but running '60s era Planeta 2.

Spare parts are an issue, especially with the current EU embargo on Russia. Most Russian suppliers simply won't/can't ship to me anymore. The parts that ARE available are generally for the Planeta / Jupiter 5 models and may or may not fit the model 56. The Izhvesk factory is still operational, OEM parts are out there subject to my comment above. Chinese parts are available but should be avoided if at all possible.

Weak spots? It's a 350cc two stroke engine. It probably won't pass an emissions test in any civilized country. You know those fancy smoke screens that the James Bond cars put out? This thing has one activated by default. If that doesn't bother you, then nothing else about the bike will.

You can check out my project at https://www.facebook...=1&l=3efbd758f1

Thanks for your reply, a pity that the chinese parts are not of suitable quality..

A shame for the people who are dependent of them..

Can you fit a piston and rings from a different bike?

How is the gearbox and drive line of these bikes? and the wheel rims?

The ones my dnepr had were more or less oval.. had to respoke all of them with new rims.. also an important cost to the whole project..