Battery

Solly

Hi All. Was doing a little research for a battery { size and amps,cca,ah,} for the mt-11 and seemed to be pointing towards a yb4l sla battery. This bike has a add on starter assembly. Has anyone any experience with the standard battery not being enough reserve for the additional load. And if so what size did you go up to for the off set,,,did it fit properly? hard to get in or out? Any input would be nice. Im sure there must be a mathematical rule of thumb that applies. Thanks Sol

I run an AGM Deka ETX9 (9ah 120cca) but a ETX12 (12ah 180cca) or a ETX14 (14ah 220cca) would fit in there too. They are all 5 7/8"L by 3 7/16"W but 4 3/16", 5 1/8", 5 3/4"Tall. If I remember right the tallest batt. that I could fit would be 6" tall.

Good price and free shipping=

http://www.batterymart.com/c-big-crank-batteries.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwxYGuBRCtoqjkrIPDqDwSJAAnd-rC6GOtfBa7kiv97KChsSs5enL2YT8BFeABTZTr_DKiwhoCuAPw_wcB

They're sold in Azone and other places under their brand name too but cost more. I get mine at Lowe's! Much cheaper plus I get a discount.

I have a MT16

A yb4 wont be up for it! you will....if you modify the carrier(easy) get as the largest a Lucas(AGM) batteryLSL22C-12G...It just fits ...some would say perfectly as the same battery does in my Ural...It is brilliant,...and will crank for a long time, should you have too!!..it has a good amperage, and will power the electronic ignition , in just about anystate of charge...Tap the number into fleabay...they are also cheap...because the box does not say "motorcycle"...It is also maintenance free!!...I have used mine in all conditions , all year, no problems at all....

So I recently fitted another to my MT11....!

Thanks for all the tips,,,,I do like Deka batteries and have seen them consistently go beyond their own ratings of time and cca. Have had numerous Odyssey batteries in boats and though very good I found to be over priced. My Bmw brick uses a 18ah + { 170 cca} and the two Gooses use about the same if not larger.Will look into the lucas,,,,never used one before. Thanks again Sol

Would make sense to have a fair amount of reserve capacity so the alternator isn't running it's legs off to restore the battery quickly. Appears to be a clone of a old Renault/Fiat starter and their initial pull in amp draw was something around 180 amps and then continuous was usually much less , like around 100 - 125 amps { for a car } should even be less for a cycle.

I run the small 9ah because my bike is kick only, no E start. Yep, 1 kick and it lights right up even after sitting out in the rain all night!

The wife's bike (old 900cc sportster) runs a Tech Cycle gear reduction starter and it only has a 180cca battery. Those small gear reduction starters are sweet.