oil

riverdriver

has anyone used aviation grade motor oil in their bikes seems as though these things are pretty close to an aircraft engine they would do well with a 50 grade aircraft motor oil in summer temps,just a thought after seeing some powered gliders years ago being powered by BMW motorcycle engines while stationed in Germany 1960

• 3 weeks later...

the nearest comparison would be a Cesna I suppose....and weither you had a roller bearing or plain metal crank...I am told that it is more the quality of the oil and one cannot really test that, however, the best quality oil produced is in America, it is called Kensol oil, I believe, and is available to you lucky folks in what used to be the USA,...I cannot get it, as I am in what used to be the UK,...Have to make do with a 15/40 diesel motor oil which works well, and is probably very much better, than anything anyone called Boris could get hold of...and way ahead of the original design specs....is this an oil thread thing now??...better stop eh!!!

I believe that's Kendall oil. Rumor/ myth claims crude oil from Pa. is the best.

Mobil Delvac 15-40w is darn good too!

Any oil is only as good as the additive package, which is formulated for the design/application...Air cooled Motorcycle oil...

.is this an oil thread thing now??...better stop eh!!!

I agree...not gonna do any good anyway... Done.

Pa oil has a high parafin content (think Quaker Sludge). Amsoil or lucas did quite a study on content and quality of major oils a few years back, including specific additive contents of each. What I took from the study was that Mobil1 seemed to be the best for the cost, and have used it in all of my bikes except for my older Harleys since.The additives that most motorcycles need are Phosphorous, and Zinc for their heavily loaded transmissions (shearing between gears) Urals do not have this concern because the trans is seperate. Im sure the study is still on the internet if you have an interest.

.The additives that most motorcycles need are Phosphorous, and Zinc for their heavily loaded transmissions (shearing between gears) Urals do not have this concern because the trans is seperate. Im sure the study is still on the internet if you have an interest.

The Ural and the Harley share the same separate trans characteristic.Only bike I know that the Trans and the engine share oil are Japanese.

and Definitely require different additive packages. The Ural and Harley are so similar that they can easily share oils, both tranny and Engine.

BTW Those additives are for more than trannys...they are for heavily loaded Roller Bearings...as well as the Gears that control the Cams etc...

The reason mobil1 is not used in the older harleys is that they usually run straight 60w, engine, and 80-90 in the trans. This is from Shovels on back. Japaneese, most italian, newer british, and even newer Royal Enfields are unit motors that share oil between the engine and trans. The roller bearings have no shear (sliding action between the teeth), and the cam gears are only lightly loaded, although a good oil is always better. The main reason I run synthetic is it`s resistance to coking from heat which is substantially higher than dino oil.