My school system offered free Trade School along with 10, 11, and 12th grade high school education.

damn I'm really envious for that. We only had courses that I hated...greek, latin, religious education, or s/t like that.

I learned to use a mill and lathe later during my "Lehre" (that's what you need here in germany to work in a job, a 3 years time of learning in a company, with a test at the end, with minimal wage for that time ;-))

After that I never managed to purchase a mill or even a lathe...I'd love to have, but it's just too expensive here..

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/23/2020 at 12:55 PM, stahlsau said:

damn I'm really envious for that. We only had courses that I hated...greek, latin, religious education, or s/t like that.

I learned to use a mill and lathe later during my "Lehre" (that's what you need here in germany to work in a job, a 3 years time of learning in a company, with a test at the end, with minimal wage for that time ;-))

After that I never managed to purchase a mill or even a lathe...I'd love to have, but it's just too expensive here..

The High School made it very hard on us because they got half the funding they would normally get. The Trade School got the other half. We were bullied by members of the sports teams relentlessly with the approval of the High School management. We were even informed that the harassment wound stop if we quit going to Trade School. I toughed it out and graduated from both. I never attended my High School graduation ceremony and never paid the High School for the stuff that went along with that. None of us Trade School Students did that. We simply stopped by the office and picked up our certificate on the last day. The High School ended up losing more money because of that with the loss of revenue for pictures, books, jewelry, and clothing associated with that graduation ceremony. You don't need that stuff if you refuse to go. People at the High School ended up losing their jobs over that when education officials wanted to know why none of us went to the ceremony and we told them about the harassment we suffered. Meanwhile the last two weeks at Trade School consisted of recruiters offering jobs to us. Everyone that went to trade School got a high paying job of their choice. I went to work for McDermott Shipbuilding in Morgan City, LA at $7 (USD) an hour at a time when most people were making $3 an hour, like my Dad. My Dad accused me of lying to him about my pay until I let him see my pay stub. After 6 months I was offered a job on an off shore oil platform as a Mill Wright by McDermott that was contracted by an Oil Company to operate it. I made $15 and hour for 8 hours, then $22.5 for another 4 hours, and $30 an hour for additional  hours worked in a 24 hour time period out on the platform. I typically worked 16 hours a day out there because I was the only certified Mill Wright on the platform. We had no place to spend that money out there because they served us 4 meals a day and we got furnished work clothing free as well. I made more money in one month than my Dad made in a year. He thought my going to Trade School and not College was a mistake.

On 11/21/2020 at 12:57 AM, luca.stere said:

One wheel at a time, like I said before I will use Dnepr wheels with 3.5 x19 tyres for this bike for my subjectiv reasons.

20201116_205424.thumb.jpg.6f680b9f4b81dd

20201116_205551.thumb.jpg.b9d35fd15de9c0

I used 3.5 X 19 (100/90-19) Shinko Classic 240 tires on my M-11. They have an almost flat tread which is why I purchased them. I found the original 3.75-19 USSR made tires were hard to fit between the brake shoes and swing arm coming off and going on and thought Duro HF308 4.0-19 would be wider which would require removing the brake shoes, slipping the wheel in past the final drive, putting the brake shoes back on, and then putting the wheel on the final drive. The 3.5-19 tires go on easy without any drama. It wasn’t until later I found out those old USSR 3.75-19 tires are actually the same width as the Duro HF308 4.0-19 tires. I've been rotating my tires so it looks like I'll get over 10,000 Km out of them before I wear them out. I may go with the Duro HF308 4-19 tires next time.