Soon to be Mt-16 owner

Hey all,

Fixn' to pick up a early 1990's MT-16 next week. :laugh:

Ive been lurkn' picking up info to help brace for impact! I think it'll be a interesting adventure, but hey lifes pretty boring without adventure. :wink:

Been wanting a sidecar rig for years and finally pretty much everything aligned to purchase one.

New alt, elec ignition, new carbs. What worries me is an extra set of heads. I hate to guess what the PO did.

Anyhow.. I'll know more when I swap dead presidents for a Ukrane 3 wheeled wonder!

I'll shoot alot of pics too!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Mr. SafetyBob!

My "Nepr info" file on the computer is growing by the day.

It runs and leaks. Guess that means it's not blown up and it has oil in it. That's a plus in my book!

Rmember the line from JAWS, "we're gonn'a need a bigger boat" but I think in my case it's "we're gonn'a need a bigger roll of gasket paper". :huh2:

I'm spending my time figuring out what air filter, spark plugs, oil, and seals I'll be needing. Already downloaded/read as many manuals I can find so I don't ask how much radiator fluid does it take? :laugh:

The real KMZ manual that you can get online is about the best there is. That and the KMZ parts manual and you are golden. If I can see how things go together, I can take them apart.. In that the KMZ parts book is a gem. (too big to email or I would send to you)

Really simple machines. Think tractor or lawnmower.

I have a small shop here with a mill and lathe, with that and some store bought parts from time to time, you can keep these running forever.

Just look on YouTube and see how they beat them to death in the motherland and they still run...

Glad to have you on board.

SB#3

That darn youtube is what got me in this mess! Saw a video of one and the next thing you know........

I wanted a rig 6 years ago but life got in the way. Just retired from the military last month and now with twice the free time on my hands and half the pay the Dnepr seems like the best fit!

That darn youtube is what got me in this mess! Saw a video of one and the next thing you know........

I wanted a rig 6 years ago but life got in the way. Just retired from the military last month and now with twice the free time on my hands and half the pay the Dnepr seems like the best fit!

Thank you for your Service to your fellow citizens, and welcome to the Russian Iron fray!

Ride safe, and smile to the max...

~RN

regarding your leaks Ive had good luck with Yamabond from your Yamaha dealer. It seems to never completely harden and seals my Dnepr oil tite.there are proably other products as good. just an suggestion. anyway welcome to most frustrating fun you can have. :smileywaving:

Working on a shopping list.

Please correct me if you spot something wrong.

* NGK BP7ES plugs. I have some #6's already.

* More 20/50 oil or 15/40 Rotella diesel oil. Already have some GL4 90wt.

*Wix air filter #unknown

* More small inline fuel filters

* Carb and brake cleaner.

* Decal that says "Please honk if anything falls off of bike" :laugh:

* Radiator fluid. :huh2:

Is it Thursday? Aghhhhhh!

I can't wait that long!!

Hey Whiterabbit,

KN E-9245 air filter, direct fit

Walboro 82-85-7 carb neddles for NEW GOVM'T bad gas, if you have Pakar 68's, not sure if they fit 63'

NGK 6 or 7's work

Use BEER radiator fluid is toxicbeer%20chug.gif

Names to know in the USA for Dnepr's. Great source of parts and knowledge and outstanding people.

Ken Urlich

Lloyd Lundsbury

and of course the RIMC and SSteeds forum people

Across the pond parts sources I have delt with and would recommend.

http://moto-boxer.com/index.php

http://oldtimergarage.eu/

http://www.ural-zentrale.de/

I posted a reply to your SS newby post.

Good luck and it's a h3ll of a lot of fun. Made my first CRAP this year and had a blast.

Here's a shot of it from the side. Not bad. I'm not a fan of the tan cloth interior of the sidecar.Hope the pics come through. That's easier for me to point and say "what's up with this?" :blink:I already see something that is WRONG. No inline filters! I'm a big fan of good fuel filters and I don't even want to guess why some of the engine/trans is painted black. Don't get me wrong, I love blacked out bikes. My bike is totally blacked out. Is it Thursday yet?

Nice bike!

About the sparkplug, there are two different heads from the factory, one with long, and one with short sparkplug holes. NGK BP7HS (short thread) or BP7ES (long thread). Check the length of the spark plug threads before you put new sparkplug in the heads.

Good luck!

Can't tell for sure...but that appears to have Mikuni type carbs...Probably a Big Plus.

YamaBond and 1104 from 3-Bond are the same [Good] stuff.

Those carbs and elec.. Iggy should be a great asset.

Don't overtighten the head bolts, and keep the valves adjusted properly...Yer good to go...