Driving a Rolls Royce for the 1st time

Gadgitman

Yesterday I drove a 1969 Rolls Royce Mulliner Park Ward convertible, this car and a RR Silver Shadow RHD are my new charges as a personal mechanic. I have worked on Rolls Royce classics before but most every one I was not allowed to drive. My new friend just threw me the keys and said " go drive the Corniche around and see why it's chugging ". Needless to say this took a little while and shure enough it studdered a couple times and once it actually stalled at a stop. But even then I was driving a Rolls friggin Royce! Deep black paint, top down on a classic with 40k kilometers on the clock,and cruzing San Diego like I owned the town. Next time I will take a video. I think my ego just exploded, I know my head wants too!

post-30095-0-53285400-1389341254_thumb.jpg

A friend has a 1967 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. He did a frame up restoration on it. When he got stuck in his reassembly, he would hire a Rolls Royce mechanic from the local dealer, to come to his house for advice. The mechanic told him that he had worked on Rolls Royces for 14 years and he had never seen one that far apart. :laugh:

Dave

Bilge keel Dave do you know where he got parts? I have the dealer about 5 miles from me but I would like a few alternatives. Both of these are in very good shape but where serviced by a novice at best, not really damaged but bad workmanship. I haven't had the time to look at the RHD Shadow yet, he says that one is fine right now but has no log book so I will buy a new one and do a complete check and documentation of its condition. This is going to be fun! No really....well.....

I will tell you the truth, I am scared to drive that one Rob Clark. I have only driven a postal delivery vehicle in and out of the shop a few times and will not drive that one very far from the stable untell I feel more confidant.

• 1 month later...

G-man, now you know what its like to be over the moon---It's cool, Had two r/hand drives years ago, a 1951 Daimler-Benz and later a '55 Vauxhaul,In the Damilar- Benz had a dog that loves to hang her head out the left hand window, when i saw a car coming, haveing already slid the seat back, I would drop down very low, almost invisable......that was fun till a cops wife who was not as fearless as him, dropped a dime on me, he wasn't very pleasant, but I hadn't broke any laws that he could find while he was whizzing and moanin about it. Now I can see his point.....Ken :cool:

I used to have a 1967 London Taxi that was right hand drive. Right after I had rebuilt the engine, I still had a temporarily license sticker in the front window, as required by law at that time. I still had the English plates on it. I got pulled over in West Linn Oregon one evening, for not having a valid license plate. It was agreed by the neighboring police departments that the cops in West Linn were a bunch of horse's patoots.

The left hand side of the front of the taxi was a big luggage bin, no seat or anything. The cop shined his flashlight where he thought my eyes were, but I was on the other side of the car. It was funny to see the confused look on his face as he shined the flashlight all over the luggage bin, looking for the missing driver. I waved and told him, "I'm over here!" He said he pulled me over because I didn't have plates. I pointed out my valid temporary sticker on the windshield. Then, he said it was illegal to have the steering wheel on the right side. I said,"What about post office trucks?" He left without saying another thing. Jerk!

Dave