Spark Plugs

Thank you

Never sure what the differences are especially as I have an mt9 with mt10 engine does the 12v not just make it a late mt9 or mt10 36

There is no such bike as an MT9/10 and some people easily get confused. Better to say your bike is an MT9/10-36 hybrid with the later engine. There are differences between the models, switchgear, headlamp and console are the main ones

Will do. Thank you for your help. It's very much appreciate. Sorry if they are silly questions but can't find much info out there and know nothing about dnepr. Didn't know they existed until I saw one on eBay 2 months ago and bought it

There is no such thing as a silly question. Trivial points sometimes need clarification. Many basic questions can be answered via a forum search but even that doesn't work sometimes. Ask away, the sooner you are able to ride your bike, the happier this community will be. If you learn as you are going along, and contribute your experiences , thats even better

I, personally have 1 dislike ( post whores who cut and paste the same question on multiple forums) , once I see that, I simply block and ignore.

The resistance is mainly to supress electrical interference to other equipment (ie radio's and tv's in close proximity) and you need to actually measure it with a test meter as caps look similar. Soviet plugs OE plugs are usually non resistor type.

If your bike is running on points ignition, it doesn't really matter what resistance is present , so most combinations of spark plug/cap will work. I use bp plugs and NGK resistor caps. Original bikes are supplied with non resistor plugs and caps.

Electronic ignitions need resistance and all the aftermarket Soviet systems demand at least 7000 ohms ( from memory)

• 4 weeks later...

I would recommend BP7HS plugs in the Dnepr. I use silicon plug caps with 5k ohm resistors and copper core HT wire. Plug gap depends on which coil and ignition system you are using. Standard points and Russian peice-of-dogpoo coil (if you've got one you'll understand) - 0.6mm, Jap coil 0.7 - 0.8mm Jap coil & Electronic ignition 0.8mm, Harley coil 1.0mm.

I have a set of heads that have short length threads and Russian plugs in them that are short. There is a topic I started on them here with pics. The heads on my mt-11 take long thread plugs and do have longer threads. Side by side the 2 differant heads look the same, just plug length is differant. Make sure of the thread depth of your heads! Lots of plugs have tops you can screw off to use the other caps, I wonder how this would work with a points type ignition? The way the combustion chamber is shaped, especially right around the plug relief, makes it hard to measure the thread length with the head on the cylinder. I have found here in Southern California I can not go to NAPA and pick up plugs and a air filter by asking for it to fit a Dnepr. But I can go in and ask for plugs for a honda civic and a Pontiac Fiero air filter! I run the fancy platinum plugs with 2 electrodes that I got at Walmart by just matching length and cap then went for middle of the road heat range, they work very well with my stock electronic ignition. I looked for a # on them to post here but all it said was Bosch Platinum +2.