1968 Dnepr K750

HoppingFrog

I hope this isn't considered bad form, but I already wrote this all out on another forum. Looking for information and advice. I have ordered a few english translation manuals that I could find.

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30442&p=369514#p369514

post-39454-0-24489400-1379290711_thumb.jpg

Long story, short. This is my first bike. I'm not overly concerned about fully restoring anything. I always liked old bikes. I'd like to get it running well again and spend some time tooling around on it.

post-39454-0-36102700-1379290871_thumb.jpgpost-39454-0-41718000-1379290874_thumb.jpg

Not the best bike for a "first" IMHO..Plenty of labor and the maintenance on the old bikes can be intense.

If you accept that going in..that will make a very cool ride indeed.

Unfortunately, I know Squat about flat-head [side-valves] models.

Good luck..and I think you will find all the help you need right here...Let's just say "you are Not alone"

RP

I'll be devil's advocate and contradict the post above and say it's the perfect first bike :-) Slow so you lessen the chance of getting into dangerous situations, brakes and acceleration mean you quickly learn to really look around you and learn to anticipate (kinda like you do when cycling but as your motorcycle is faster and much heavier than your bicycle it's a bit more important a skill to learn). Maintenance teaches you to get on top of the bike with a routine every weekend to go over the old girl making sure everything is as it should be. This is more than a maintenance issue - you learn about the bike and subsequently you learn skills that can be used for pretty much any vehicle (of a certain age - engine management systems are obviously best left to "those who know"!).

No, a perfect first bike, you should enjoy your apprenticeship.

I see it has the K68 carbs on it - any other modifications?

Not the best bike for a "first" IMHO..Plenty of labor and the maintenance on the old bikes can be intense.

If you accept that going in..that will make a very cool ride indeed.

Unfortunately, I know Squat about flat-head [side-valves] models.

Good luck..and I think you will find all the help you need right here...Let's just say "you are Not alone"

RP

I get what you're saying. But I wanted an old bike and knew going in it was going to be a learning process. I have a good friend who is garaging it for me and has built and rebuilt many bikes. He's an old gear head.

Oh, kiss my ass. I just wrote a long message and it got eaten. I don't have the heart to write it again right now. I'll be back.

More photos here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151864158075661.1073741848.723730660&type=1&l=9251caadee

Oh, kiss my ass. I just wrote a long message and it got eaten. I don't have the heart to write it again right now. I'll be back.

More photos here:

https://www.facebook...=1&l=9251caadee

Ha Ha!! Been there too! I feel yer pain..so does my one finger that knows how to type!!

Hope yer buddy the wrench is accustomed to stuff like old Brit bikes and Ironhead Sportsters...it will make life so much easier...

Hell a good John Deere tractor mechanic would understand rather well!!!

RP

You posted the same question on SS on Monday. You got a good comprehensive answer linked to the goodkarma website on Monday. Why post it on here on Tuesday when you already have an answer?

Grrrrr, another timewaster for the block list methinks

I don't know how accurate the timestamp is on these things but when I posted here, I had not received the good answers I eventually got. But thanks for your patience.

• 3 weeks later...