Securing Exhaust to Downpipes - 2 into one Dnepr

I've had to take and re-fit my exhaust several times now, but it just keeps wobbling its self loose! I have the split O rings and the Gaskets and Tighten them up. I also use Exhaust Gunk to seal it - but it still wobbles loose. Any ideas or is there a better Exhaust solution to the 2 into 1 Dnepr than the baseball bat style MT16 Ukranian standard unit?

The crossover has a tab on it that mounts to the frame. There should be a clamp around the large end of the muffler to the frame. Other than that, it pretty much is tied to the engine with the pipe rings and crush washers. I may be lucky, but I have had no issue on my 2 MT's with the ball bat muffler.. SB#3

The crossover has a tab on it that mounts to the frame. There should be a clamp around the large end of the muffler to the frame. Other than that, it pretty much is tied to the engine with the pipe rings and crush washers. I may be lucky, but I have had no issue on my 2 MT's with the ball bat muffler.. SB#3

Yeah all the brackets are in place but it wobbles loose at the join between the downpipe on the left hand side and the muffler. It just won't seal and stay solid.

So - some things you just need to ask the experts, so I rode down to the local Exhaust place and a chap there, a former Bike owner, said Automotive Silicone is what is needed so I set about taking all the Exhaust off yet again, cleaning it up including wire brushing the threads and sanding pipes as well as making another gasket and applying this stuff on each side of the O rings. Tapped everything up tight and started the engine - et voila. Seems to work as Bike stalls if I cover end briefly telling me there are no leaks. I'll see how long it lasts but the packaging says it stands up to 200 deg C and -60 and stays flexible. not sure it'll last 20 years like the blurb says but a year would be fine! Chap reckoned that normal exhaust cement is rubbish, sets hard and blows out which is what was happening. Will report but here's some pics to help others who land here!

Silicone

Pipes - Dnepr 2 into 1

Exhaust and Silicone Sealant

• 1 year later...

time to dig op this old thread again,

looks like everytime I get the bike tuned up good, it blows off the right side pipe.

Bought some new nuts + gaskets , and tore down today to have a look at it.

At the cylinder, there was a solid metal ring inside the ex.nut, and at the end connecting to the muffler , there was 1 solid ring and 1 split ring.

Gaskets I got were square in cross section and made of some fiber material. So, this makes me kinda wonder, how should these be put together to get things stay put and stay tight?

The threads on the head and in the ring must be good to start with.

I simply stick a Piece of Wood Stove door gasket in place of the store bought gasket...Working just fine.

BTW The Door gasket was an Idea from Ken..Thank You Kind Sir!!!

threads are good from what I can see. I even bought some new rings in case they weren't.

but what about those metal rings, I suspect the split ring is supposed to put some squeeze on the pipe when tightened up by the conical end inside the exhaust nut..?

also found that the ex.hanger bolt in front ov the collector was kinda fubar'ed, not helping much in keeping the pipe stay where it was supposed to be

threads are good from what I can see. I even bought some new rings in case they weren't.

but what about those metal rings, I suspect the split ring is supposed to put some squeeze on the pipe when tightened up by the conical end inside the exhaust nut..?

also found that the ex.hanger bolt in front ov the collector was kinda fubar'ed, not helping much in keeping the pipe stay where it was supposed to be

You'll find that if you remove the ring, you can change the threaded Collar!

Otherwise the collar squeezes the Ring to the Exhaust port with the "gasket" between.

Can't help with the Hanger...I have Sportster mufflers on mine!!

Split rings? When I did my 2 into 1 exhaust on my '94 MT16 the J pipes had a bulge about 3/4 inch from the head end. I slipped the exhaust nut UP the pipe to the bulge which fit into the nut then put the asbestos ring on the end and slipped it into the head, tightened nut and done. Used plenty of anti seize! The end that went into the big funky cross over got the nut and asbestos ring, greased up and tightened. Same with the muffler's side "tit".

The muffler went into the scrap pile, running something different on my bike. :smile:

Split rings? When I did my 2 into 1 exhaust on my '94 MT16 the J pipes had a bulge about 3/4 inch from the head end. I slipped the exhaust nut UP the pipe to the bulge which fit into the nut then put the asbestos ring on the end and slipped it into the head, tightened nut and done. Used plenty of anti seize! The end that went into the big funky cross over got the nut and asbestos ring, greased up and tightened. Same with the muffler's side "tit".

The muffler went into the scrap pile, running something different on my bike. :smile:

I guess yours is different than ours then!

I learned long ago...with old Harleys and British iron...Nothing goes in the scrap bin....

LOL! That's the truth! I keep way too much old bike, truck and Rover bits n pieces.

My scrap "pile" is the shelving running down the length of my shop and piled up next to it too. A few yr's back I built a complete bike outt'a that "junk"! No kidding, built a 1970-76 Harley Sportster bobber.

• 11 months later...