Dnepr Gearbox Oil Leak - Can you point me?

I've got a leak and it's spitting Oil onto the Exhaust 2 into 1, quite a bit so thinking of tackling it and wanted some advice and guidance on

a) where it is leaking from and what is causing it

b) what's involved in fixing it

So - thought the easiest thing would be to do a short video and place it on YouTube for you to take a look at and see what you think. YouTube Video I do know that Oil is coming out of the Generator as it's not sealed properly but don't think that is the cause - or is it?

Final Drive Gearbox

It is getting slung onto the sidecar body. So the output seal then? - Can this be replaced without taking the Gearbox out? Guess not. The auto clutch plunger same question or are they both Gearbox out jobs... Thanks

The o-rings on the plunger and slider are very easy to replace; no need to remove anything except offending part. Well except for the clutch actuating lever, but that is simple. Output seal can be done with tranny in however it is behind the yoke for the drive shaft coupler so the final drive, shaft, coupler and yoke must come out. I would watch the output seal a bit before removing just to confirm it is the one leaking.

The o-rings on the plunger and slider are very easy to replace; no need to remove anything except offending part. Well except for the clutch actuating lever, but that is simple. Output seal can be done with tranny in however it is behind the yoke for the drive shaft coupler so the final drive, shaft, coupler and yoke must come out. I would watch the output seal a bit before removing just to confirm it is the one leaking.

Yep - that seems like it, taken a good look and moved the Bike and you see Oil all over the Final Drive seal. Sounds good though that I can do with the Gearbox in Situ. Now to find the actual seal and plan the job - thanks for the pointers...

Final Drive Gearbox

I just rebuilt my k750 motor and gearbox with bearings and seals from these guys. Reqal happy. Good prices and fast shipping. If you don't already know the size seal you need it should be on the old one.

http://simplybearing.../c19/index.html

That supplier is about 12 kilometres from my house and I was there yesterday morning picking up some gearbox bearings. The original final drive seal is a double lipped one and is hard to get outside Eastern Europe. A standard single lipped one will work but original is better. It is not always that seal that is leaking, sometimes oil finds it's way past the splines and it is better to put some silicone gasket on them when assembling. having said that, 30 year old seals on a low mileage bike are probably knackered anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the exact problem on my bike...drove me crazy! It was indeed the output shaft seal. A new seal with a bit of silicone added to the splines worked great. I ended up pulling my gearbox to do it and changed all the bearings and seals though, so it was a bit more than you should have to do. Well worth it though. Good luck. I have the part numbers for the seals somewhere; I can dig them up if you need them.