Black box

Bistriteanu

Hello guys,can anybody tell me what's this black box under the MT16 tank? It is not electrictly connected to anything. I am in the process of installing a 2.9 Ohm H.D coil under the tank. The bike has Type3 ignition.

Question #2: I am getting 8.77 V on the + wire to the coil. Is that sufficient to get a spark? Battery has 12.50V

Thanks

Roland

post-27208-0-71360400-1377196265_thumb.jpg

Hello,

This is the ignition module of a Type 1 electronic ignition system

You should have 12V, but I'm not sure about the 2,9 Ohms value. On the BMW airhead ignition systems, we have 3 Ohms with contact ignition, and 1,5 Ohms with electronic ignition... So check wich impedance you need, because the electronic module doesn't appreciate the wrong impedance. But some electronic ignition systems need high impedance coil, so...

Yves

Coil should be 1.5 - 2.0 ohms. Your H-D coil won't work very long, if at all.

As for the low voltage at the coil, it sounds like someone converted your bike to points when the Type 1 ignition failed. Look for a ballast resistor somewhere upstream of the coil. Remove that and you'll have your 12.5 volts at the coil.

Looked upstream from the coil and no ballast resistor but I opened up the ignition switch/tach/indicator lights box on top of the headlight and found a real mess of wires and connectors touching the housing,insulated them with electrical tape and now I have 12V at the coil.I installed the Harley coil and now there is a nice strong blue spark. Test drive tomorrow.

Awesome!

I used the Chevy points plate with a Harley coil for a couple of years. Both worked great. Sorry I can't say the same for the Russian points cam/centrifugal advance unit. The cam was asymmetrical - it opened the points earlier for one cylinder than the other. I had to regrind the profile to get it right. Then the bob weights on the advance unit wore out their anchor pins after a few thousand miles and the whole thing fell apart. I had a long walk home that day.

I refitted my Type 3 and carried on until just a couple of weeks ago when I upgraded to the newer Type 3 (Type 3.1?) from Oldtimer Garage.

Good luck with your ride!