?ural=dnepr=bmw?

kubelman

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the bike is nearly complete but what is missing is expensive--steering drag assembly--carb intake tubes-earles fork top plate--headers and mufflers--headlight bucket/guts/glass--i have the coffeecan taillight but no guts/glass--was hoping at least the carb tubes were available as knock-offs as BMW wants $200 for the pair in metal when rubber would do nicely

the bike is mostly there--what is missing is expensive--steering drag assembly--earles fork top plate--headlight bucket/guts/glass--a couple brake shoes--i have the coffeecan taillight but no guts/glass--lots of other stuff thats not too costly--cables--all the rubber--wiring harnesses--the big seat is original but crap--really want a solo anyway but $400 is absurd--the 2 part aircleaner (choke type) housing is almost mint but filterless--bike is all in pieces needing cleaning/paint/polish----I sincerely thank allwho have weighed in on this during their weekend--you've given me good direction--

thanks-the bike is mostly there--the missing stuff is expensive--all the rubber--earles fork top plate--steering damper assembly--2 brake shoes--the carb intake tubes are metal and $200 a pair from bmw--absurd when rubber would do nicely--the big seat is original but crap--want a solo anyway but not for $400--its completely apart so bead blasting/paint/polish is easy--then wrenching it all together--thanks to everyone who gave some of their weekend to help me from my ignorance

hope this gets through--i've replied 4 times in the last hour and aol is crapping on me--the bike is mostly there--the missing stuff is expensive--steering damper assembly--earles fork top plate--all the rubber--the carb tubes are $200 from bmw--metal when rubber would do nicely--the original seat is crap but i want a solo anyway but not for $400---many thanks for all the replies from people on their weekends--what a great group and site

hope this gets through--i've replied 4 times in the last hour and aol is crapping on me--the bike is mostly there--the missing stuff is expensive--steering damper assembly--earles fork top plate--all the rubber--the carb tubes are $200 from bmw--metal when rubber would do nicely--the original seat is crap but i want a solo anyway but not for $400---many thanks for all the replies from people on their weekends--what a great group and site

I've got some rubber intake tubes lying around (as one does ;-)) - I'll see if they match up. If you're handy, you should be able to make the Ural saddle fit the /2 single saddle frame. You'll needs to spend about $130-some on the saddle mount - comes with bushing and front mount. You'll need to sort out the spring or buy one of them too. I'll take a picture or two and show you where you'll be having to be handy at fixing things ;-) Alternatively, is it just your saddle rubber that needs replacing? Or do you have a dual saddle which you want to swap out?

Edit - how are you at fabricating/welding? Send me a PM if you'd like pictures sent directly to you. Don't forget there's swap meets for BMWs where you can find cheaper alternatives. Try http://vintagebmw.org/v7/forum and http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/slash2/ for more and better information.

Try and borrow a top plate and get a new one laser-cut. Much of the CJ steering damper looks to be the same - the frame mounted friction plate is different but you could either by the BMW part or modify the CJ. For carb inlet tubes - go to an exhaust shop and get new ones bent up. For the headlight just use a CJ unit. For your air cleaner look at http://www.space100....abelle/ana.html - look at the bike on that page and then look at "Pictures" - you just need to think outside the box.

Oh, and it's Monday here and too wet to go outside to work. ;-)

Oh, and the 650 Ural rocker gear fits. http://www.cossackow...uk/uralm63.html

That would have to be the most unreliable and fantasised article I have ever read about Urals. Mostly balderdash!

It is something I'll have to test....have Ural rocker gear in an old Arabic coffee pot (seemed a good container to store them in) and my R50 needs a service.....could see how they compare. Just about to nip outside to the shed to see about the intake tubes....dark and rainy here but at least Monday's over.

Yes..thanks..how about some items like air intake tubes or brake shoes--those kind of simple items

in my limited experience, the russian rubber parts are not the best quality... intake tubes are gone in 2-3 years, rubber seat cracked after 2 years ....

Thanks to all who have helped my headache- -i'm sorting my options--printing manuals and lists--saving my allowance (social security haha) and taking a breath--looks like what i would save buying parts that "sort of fit" i will spend welding/bending/cursing--

HAPPY RIDING TO ALL--KEEP IT BETWEEN THE LINES when coloring and up on 2 wheels---bye for now--"Z"

by the way Kubelman comes from the name of the car that inspired the VW Thing--the WWII Kubelvagen or "bucketcar"--the staff car the germans used as their "Jeep"--again thanks to all

• 4 weeks later...

A real interesting mod would be to change out the motor. Get a M1M Chang motor. Three immediate advantages (other than the totally cool look, plus it would REALLLLY ###### off the purists), 1. it's a bolt in swap, 2. it's electric start (12v a bonus), 3. You get a good 280W alternator that is WAAAY better than the wimpy BMW generator. A good running Chang flathead is a joy. Horsepower is about equal.