?ural=dnepr=bmw?

kubelman

My name is Mark and I just uncrated a '56 BMW R50--a big metal puzzle with no box-top lid--It's 95% there--I just have to figure out that 5%--some of the replacement parts from The Fatherland are breathtakingly expensive--not complaining just saying--

We know the DNA of the three cousins we have chosen to hang with--I am asking if there is a reference site of information/opinion about the parts the three share--fit/quality/source--

I don't want to upset anyone--I just want less expensive parts that will give reasonable service--

I've come here because there are many many people with much more mechanical experience than I have--I have restored a '74 VW Thing as my daily driver so I'm hooked on Air Suckers and my wrenching skills are adequate--but I also know when to seek mentoring--

New here so take it easy--not new to bikes--had a Kaw 400--BK--(before kids)--now I"m old and retired and love the smell of 90W bearing oil--

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW ! Thanks for the Rapid Reply--the parts I'm interested in are: rubber parts--exhaust headers/mufflers--spark coil--wheel bearings and brake shoes/components ---brake/throttle/clutch cables--handlebar switches--piston rings--can I make the solo saddle fit the Beemers frame--lots of questions I know but you see where I'm going-- parts that were probably replicated between the designs--

The relationship between soviet and German bikes is nothing like the fables you have heard from wannabees who like to make out they own a BMW derivative. A few of the bearings may be standard , and as Peter says, some of the nuts and bolts. The only part I can think of immediately is headstock bearings. There is a lot of rubbish posted on the net, don't believe most of it.

Thank you--I have had contact with Mr Vechorik at Benchworks--very nice guy--has a reputation as a guru so what he says is actionable--thanks for the other sites--i'll head there--what i'm inferring from the replies so far is that not much is applicable from the Ural/Dnepr/Chang bloodlines to BMW--I was hoping for affordable rubber parts--the adaptability of the solo seat--just trying to save money--

thanks--as they say " i'm not in it for the money" but for the fun--the guy i bought this "95% there " basket case from said buy NO russian/chinese parts--I will get as much OE/Repro as possible but have hope that someone will actually have the info i seek--what parts--rubber/brake shoes/linings/cables/solo seat/whatever fit BMW from URAL/DNEPR--? maybe nobody knows--i am hoping someone does--just trying to expand my choices--

Having an R50/2 and an M66, I can safely say there's not much that's interchangeable without between some and a lot of work. However, from the /2 yahoo group I read of an enterprising man in Cuba that's managed to adapt a Ural crank for his R50.

'56 R50, eh? My engine is from '57 but it's wrapped by a '59 frame. I do like the bike :-)

thanks Mike--all the heavy metal/moving parts are here and whole--i'm looking for interchange of rubber parts--the steering drag assembly--brake shoes/linings--the solo seat--i don't want to re-engingeer the bike just find some parts that dont cost gold teeth fillings--

thanks--as they say " i'm not in it for the money" but for the fun--the guy i bought this "95% there " basket case from said buy NO russian/chinese parts--I will get as much OE/Repro as possible but have hope that someone will actually have the info i seek--what parts--rubber/brake shoes/linings/cables/solo seat/whatever fit BMW from URAL/DNEPR--? maybe nobody knows--i am hoping someone does--just trying to expand my choices--

The Ural and Dnepr brakes shoes are different from each other and different from the Earles fork type. They also have glued on linings. Get the linings from Benchmark Works as the Soviet linings were designed to last the life of the bike, if not longer. About the only cables that "might" fit are the throttle and clutch cables from the 650s. The solo seat from a Chang Jiang "might" fit as I've seen them on an M-63 where the "tent" mount had been cut off. You can get tapered roller steering head bearings from SidecarPro and all other bearings are standard and available from any major bearing supplier. Ural pushrod rubbers "might" fit, but that's suck it and see. The kickstart "stop" rubber looks like it might fit. The "Mickey Mouse" steering damper from a Chang looks like it could be made to fit. The three bikes are similar but far from the same.

thanks Peter--most detailed information i've received--i knew the folks at this site would have the insights gained from busted knuckles and cashed checks--my VW rebuild was much easier it seems now--the parts diagrams that say R50 seem to have parts that aren't listed with numbers--parts that differ from PDF to PDF--one steering damper seems to have 15-20 parts another has 5-6--the Ebay sellers list parts that say they fit 4-5 models of bike but list no part #'s--then tell you "check Max BMW to see if this part fits your bike"--without a # how's that possible ? just a longer way of saying Caveat Emptor i suppose but not helpfull in parting me from my money !! THANKS AGAIN all the russkiemetalmembers

CJ seats will not fir - not the frames, at least. The Earles forks bikes have a different seat springing arrangement to the older, plunger models.. Tanks will not fit exactly - you should be able to rig a plunger frame tank on the /2 frame using spacers at the headstock but you can't vice versa. Steering head bearings will fit....but as Uralists appear to be using BMW bearings (tapered ones) that's kinda academic. the PZ28 carbs one can buy for CJs look similar to the Bings, cost hundreds of $ less and........the holes are just out. Don't fit (I tried). You could elongate the holes to make them fit or, more tidily, plug them with an alloy plug and redrill the holes with correct spacing - I think a few BMW owners are trying this out. I think the throttle cables fit...would need to check as the handlebar throttle arrangement is different. Kick start rubber does fit - all types. Headlamp will fit but anyone who knows the bikes will know it's not a BMW headlamp. I know Jawa Californias used the same headlamp as BMW. I dare say you can also use rear lamps like http://www.ural-zent...lumination.html as an Eber lamp substitute (assuming you're not using the Coffee can light) - anyone asks just say it's of a Horex ;-) If you have the same airfilter as me, a Stihl concrete cutter air filter fits.

I can try and take a set of side by side pictures so the differences are apparent.

Edit - the rocker gear from a 650 fits. Dunno if that's just the older 650 Urals or all ages though http://www.cossackownersclub.co.uk/uralm63.html