Bored with my Ural, started customizing

Penning

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to do something fun with my rig, so I started making it into a ficticious BMW. I am going with a WW2 look. Panzergrau just seemed like a wonderful idea. Anyway, I didn't have any specific Bmw I wanted to copy, so I just decided to make my own version going off ideas I got from looking at old pictures.

I started by doing a R71 type exhaust, all homemade. have a look

post-1376-0-22360700-1365524888_thumb.jpg

post-1376-0-44708800-1365524904_thumb.jpg

post-1376-0-26932800-1365524965_thumb.jpg

post-1376-0-88162800-1365524981_thumb.jpg

I have since removed all the fenders and square lights, handlebars, spotlight, legshields, carbs ( replaced my Kliens with k68's), gas can, and a few other random items.

I just purchased a set of three raw steel flat fenders, with all new replica bmw lights, i even managed to fins a "stieb" sidecar light look alike and the metal badges for the sidecar. I also ditched the turn signals, they were big and bulky as you know. I found these new LED lights for sport bikes that are stealthy, and can easily be hidden. I also found this guy who makes old school valve covers-these youve got to see.

My plan is to do my bike up like a Wehrmacht bike- keeping in mind it will be no where near historically accurate. This is simplya project I'm doing for fun. My plan is to change out the handlebars for reverse levers, all over Bmw badges, Wehrmacht plates, unit/tactical insignia, load carrier to replace passenger seat, metal pannier, euro gas can, r71 exhaust, etc I am however keeping the Earl forks, I know they weren't patented until the 50's but I like the ride better.

I also had a great idea to put in insulation and drain plug in the pannier and turn it into a cooler.

So then I went on a search for Panzer grey paint-what a task. The Germans used RAL colors, which are almost impossible to find.Also I don't own a sprayer set up. This lead me down a long road of searching. So if you'e been trying to find it-SHERWIN WILLIAMS has it. The code is RAL 7021 its now called schwarzgrau. And as an added bonus, I found a wonderful new toy -a PREVAL spray gun. It is a aerosol can that connects to a glass jar, it sprays exactly like a spray gun. Properly done you could paint anything you want with this, saving you a sh$!load of money. Check out the gas can pic below-thats still wet but it gives you an idea of what the preval can do.

Anyway, I am officially on a mission and will post pics here accordingly. Questions, comments, or concerns welcome.

** If you need help finding anything just ask

post-1376-0-53539600-1365525529_thumb.png

post-1376-0-83502100-1365525583_thumb.jpg

post-1376-0-42031300-1365525595_thumb.jpg

post-1376-0-72133100-1365525693_thumb.jpg

post-1376-0-95622100-1365525719_thumb.jpg

post-1376-0-24111300-1365526112.jpg

Having fun is what it's all about! Are you gonna' go for a toolbox tank? Are you familiar with the desert tanks with the air cleaner on top of 'em? The air cleaner looks just like a German helmet on top of the tank!

A fun project!

With those new separate valve covers, how did you solve the single oil-return-drain issue?

~R.

Having fun is what it's all about! Are you gonna' go for a toolbox tank? Are you familiar with the desert tanks with the air cleaner on top of 'em? The air cleaner looks just like a German helmet on top of the tank!

I am familiar with those tanks. I have a couple of leads to different dealers for toolbox tanks. im considering it. lol it would be nice to just be able to buy the tool box door, id mount it on the tank as a "faux toolbox" lol i have a early cj750 tank, but it doesnt have the toolbox.

post-1376-0-17764400-1365544793_thumb.jpg

A fun project!

With those new separate valve covers, how did you solve the single oil-return-drain issue?

~R.

batsybikes.com

email: contact@bitsybikes.com

they make 650 and 750cc

i think they will be again available in 2-3 months !

price for black ones will be 180 euro and 220 for the polished & cooper

ones . They are located in Dracula's home town of Transylvania.

I was told the gasket keeps it from obstructing the oil flow. These are sand cast. you can see the entire production process on his website. they are hand made. If you don't feel like messing with it Crawford's has "buttcheek" covers, just as nice, half the work.

post-1376-0-84137200-1365545411_thumb.jpg

Hello,Penning, you're doing a good job,and i do like the exhaust that you've made. i, myself am going to turn my Ural into a [rather slow] cafe racer,i'm gathering the bits,mainly from different bike pieces that are advertised on E-Bay.

ride safe and free. martyn,aberdare.

A question for all of you techies;

DOES ANYONE HAVE A DIAGRAM/ SCHEMATIC FOR " dumbing down" THE WIRING ON A URAL?

I have seen many bobbers and choppers with the bare minimum of wiring. I have this strange belief that the Ural's wiring is overly technical. I am failing to come up with the words I need to express my query. Let me put it this way; behind the headlight is a spaghetti looking rat's nest, are all of these wires and nonsense needed?

What can I do (if it's even possible) to lessen the amount of wiring on my rig?

* I ask because I am thinking of rewiring the whole rig, but if "dumbing it down" is not an option, I am going to recover the most visible wiring with something other then rubber.

I found this ebay guy who sells braided wire covers in multiple colors, of course i'd go black, anyway...let me know what your thoughts are on this.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

post-1376-0-08180600-1365683857_thumb.jpg