'Lectrics.

Martyn

Hello all, after such a long time of nothing going wrong,i was suprised to find that the right hand indicator[rear] stopped working. Ahh, i thought,it's just the bulb.Changed bulb-nothing.Put another bulb in-nothing.i checked bulbs and they are working.right,i'll work back from the bulb and follow the wiring.i pulled what connectors there were apart,cleaned them,put them back,checked the relay,cleaned that.After i finished checking,low and behold-the indicators were working again! problem was,i can't get the headlight to work now...i've got main beam and flash but no dip.that will be my job for tomorrow. The joys of Uraling! you can't beat it!!!!

ride safe and free. martyn,aberdare. :cool:

Two peoples separated by a common language ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist. It is as Vance said. Dip = dipped headlights. Main beam is self explanatory, as is flash.

Here's a typical car symbol chart

You can see main beam and dipped beam on the 4th row - explains the British terminology.

Hope this helps

I figured....but wanted to check. :cool:

So to recap...

You have high beam...both solid 'on'(Main beam) and 'momentary'(Flash).

You have no low beam(Dip).

You had no issue with headlight until you began undoing other connections in the loom.

It sounds to be as if you are not pushing power to the low beam element.

If you have a standard 3 prong headlight...both elements share a common ground, so if High(Main) has power and ground, which one must assume since it functions, then by default the Low(Dip) should also have good ground since they are on the same path.

I would start from the power supply side of the Low(Dip) side of the plug with my handy Multimeter.

Sorry, couldn't resist. It is as Vance said. Dip = dipped headlights. Main beam is self explanatory, as is flash.

You can see main beam and dipped beam on the 4th row - explains the British terminology.

Hope this helps

If those symbols are by Lucas, they won't work for much longer.

~RN

Hope this helps

~RN

Spoken by an American - so it is FALSE. Take your comments and shove it where the son don't shine. Cuba, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Somalia, Yemen, Palestine, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Kosovo - what countries haven't you destroyed in your quest for world dominance?

Hope this helps

~RN

Spoken by an American - so it is FALSE. Take your comments and shove it where the sun don't shine. Cuba, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Somalia, Yemen, Palestine, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Kosovo - what countries haven't you destroyed in your quest for world dominance?

Hope this helps

~RN

Spoken by an American - so it is FALSE. Take your comments and shove it where the son don't shine. Cuba, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Somalia, Yemen, Palestine, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Kosovo - what countries haven't you destroyed in your quest for world dominance?

"Spoken by an American - so it is FALSE. Take your comments and shove it where the son don't shine. Cuba, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Somalia, Yemen, Palestine, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Kosovo - what countries haven't you destroyed in your quest for world dominance? "

Thanks for the chuckles. I only wish these communications could show the ironic nature of my statement. To clarify: It was a joke.

My son is a pilot and has no fears whatsoever of flying British aircraft with Lucas electronics on board. Nor do I.

My UK Friends are the ones who joke about the reliability of Lucas items on their older British bikes. 'Just following their lead.

'Nuf said.

~Russ

thanks all for your input...made me laugh! i had a spare bulb,but before i replaced it, i tried the lights again,and...low and behold (well,words to that effect!)the damn lights worked! maybe the ghost i got in the house,made it's way to the garage for some mischief!

ride safe and free. martyn,aberdare. :smileywaving:

Just a small thought here... my late model MT11 Dnepr has three methods of operating the high beams. I didn't wire it, so I can't take the blame, but both handlebar lamp switches and a position on the key switch hafta all coincide to get the lumens out and into the air. Damned if it don't beat all, but I learned how to live with it. By the way, Lucas, Bosch, Delco, etc. all only work half of the time... the half when they're turned off!