Lots of new members out there!

digitalebola

Pavel:

Welcome to the Forum.

In our mid-60s age-wise, we have two motorcycles: A Ural Wolf (2003) and A Retro+sidecar (2007).

Both provide satisfying riding for my wife and I.

'Wouldn't have it any other way.

Our Urals have required very little "tinkering" and remain solid rides. Just standard servicing and inspections, and lots of riding.

I hope you enjoy similar experiences.

Share them here!

~RN

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

My name is Brian and I currently don't own any bikes. I have been living in Central Asia for the past 2 1/2 years. I had a dirt bike in the past but have not owned a street bike. I recently went to a small bike show here and saw some of the old Russian bikes. Several were for sale. I looked a 1951 M1A, 1952 EJ 49 and a 1958 K750. All these bikes were for sale but I was wondering if anyone knew what would be a good price for theses bike. They were all in good shape and ran. I would like to buy them in a package deal if possible and ship them back to the states. Photos of bikes are attached. I have tried to upload pictures but it keeps telling me file are to big. Any feed back would be a big help.

Brian

• 5 months later...

I am sorta new to the forum, been lurking for the past 10 years since I joined. I am a defense contractor, I have owned many urals over the years, mostly frankenbikes. I have enjoyed everyone of them. Due to work and family I have not been involved or even owned a Ural in many years but that is about to change. I am surprised how much they have gone up in price since I last looked at one. I just started watching the usual places for one, Fleabay, CL, the boards here and if anyone has any suggestions on where to find one please let me know. I am looking for a project bike. I intend to tear it down and rebuild it.

Welcome back to Urals, uralrider.

I trust you will find your project bike, and get back to The Fun.

Yes, new Urals are pricey now. At least their technologies and material/manufacturing quality are a modern match for that price.

Pretty much twist-and-go capable now. Times change, always.

Ride Safe.

~RN

The reason Urals used to be so cheap was that everything to make them was already paid for, many times over. It was also worn out which led to tolerance issues that caused numerous problems. Additionally the factory was limited in the choice of materials under the old system so things like soft steel, stripping bolts, etc. were also part of the package.

As they have identified the problems and corrected them, each item came with a price. Things like good fasteners, etc. won't elevate the price much, but things like true rims, hardened gears, stainless steel, fuel injection, disc brakes, modern switchgear, hydraulic dampers, and on and on have crept the price up considerably. But the oil leaks are pretty much gone and as Russ says they are almost gas and go now. So you get what you pay for. And low production volume will also keep prices up. I don't think the changes have been easy and I'm surprised they have navigated the issues of keeping the charm and durability while improving the bike. It's a miracle they have done so well with the limited resources they have.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a quick intro and "hello" to everyone. My name is Peter and I am from Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada. I recently purchased a KMZ/Dnepr of some sort. It is a side-valve 750 registered as a 1965 MW 750. The gentleman I purchased it from used it for a display piece at rallies and bike shows to promote a motorcycle apparel business. He knew very little about the bike itself. Apparently he got it from the guy that originally imported it into Canada either from Poland or Ukraine (he wasn't sure which). Regardless I will soon be posting a lot of pictures and asking a lot of questions. I am really looking forward to getting out on the backroads this summer on the old girl.

• 4 months later...

Hello to Everyone, my name is Jeremy and im from Malta. I recently bought myself an IZH 49 as i fell in love with it when i saw one in Poland. Its the only IZH 49 here in Malta, altough Urals and Dnpers there is a few around, all imported recently. Even some later IZH from UK named as Cossack just were shipped lately. Somehow i always manage to get my hands on two strokes only, from Yammies to Kwaks, altough latley i got some 4 strokers. decided to join as will need lots of info on the bike as all i can find is mostly russian

Hello to Everyone, my name is Jeremy and im from Malta. I recently bought myself an IZH 49 as i fell in love with it when i saw one in Poland. Its the only IZH 49 here in Malta, altough Urals and Dnpers there is a few around, all imported recently. Even some later IZH from UK named as Cossack just were shipped lately. Somehow i always manage to get my hands on two strokes only, from Yammies to Kwaks, altough latley i got some 4 strokers. decided to join as will need lots of info on the bike as all i can find is mostly russian

Hi Jeremy, some pics with your IZH49 ans some landscapes from Malta would be a great entrance here.

• 2 months later...

HI Folks

I am currently riding a 1980 BW R65 which i have had for 30 years.... just turned 70 and retired from teaching. There is a new Ural of New England dealership two miles from me and I recently took a test ride. I may be hooked. When the freezing temps and snow comes to New Hampshire most of us enthusiasts have to put he rides away until mud season in March. I am thinking that a Ural could extend the ride for a few months.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I am Charlie from Arkansas. I have been lurking here since 2013, when we got our 2003 GearUp . 10 years old with 5000km on it :ohmy:

I set up a account here last year while searching the web for Ural performance upgrades. And I never did post :(

So I wanted to say hello and say thanks for the info. I am a regular on Soviet Steeds and I see a few familiar avatars here.

I do come here and check out what's happening occasionally as well as the French EST & UralDneper.RU forums.

I only speak English so I use a translator & it does fair. I rarely post as I am a POOR keyboard operator, but I am a good reader :)

We now have 75,000km and just did a full recondition this summer, all the way to cleaning the crank slingers. I am a motorcycle mechanic so I do all of our service, repair & upgrades myself.

Our rig ( Daisy Mae) is a daily driver and our adventure touring rig too :smile: My avatar is our K9 monkey & my buddy Kofi ,a 7 years old Boxer :cool:

post-49999-0-33511000-1541631034_thumb.jpg

Charlie