Aluminum Wheels on new Urals

Kerouac

IMHO: There are very nice, both lighter and more round. They are also VERY expensive. They are the kind of thing that would effect the value of a used bike when comparing the costs/benefits of different models and years. ...They came on the Tourists and Patrols a year before the Gear Ups...

If you're having issue with out of round or balance(especially on the front) and you can't resolve with trueing and balancing, the cost may be worth it to you. But just to reduce unsprung rotational mass, I doubt it's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO: There are very nice, both lighter and more round. They are also VERY expensive. They are the kind of thing that would effect the value of a used bike when comparing the costs/benefits of different models and years. ...They came on the Tourists and Patrols a year before the Gear Ups...

If you're having issue with out of round or balance(especially on the front) and you can't resolve with trueing and balancing, the cost may be worth it to you. But just to reduce unsprung rotational mass, I doubt it's worth it.

Has anyone sent the steel wheels off to Woody at Woody's wheel works to see if he can straighten them?

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/home.htm

Has anyone sent the steel wheels off to Woody at Woody's wheel works to see if he can straighten them?

I have talked to them but have not sent off the wheel. I have one I bent while jumping the Ural on an off road course :). It worked out that by the time I paid for shipping and reworking the wheel it was the same as what I paid for the replacement.

J

I have talked to them but have not sent off the wheel. I have one I bent while jumping the Ural on an off road course :). It worked out that by the time I paid for shipping and reworking the wheel it was the same as what I paid for the replacement.

J

Ya, it's not cheap to have one done. Does a new one come reasonably straight? I got the feeling that they're not so hot right out of the box.

I have had Woody respoke and true all 4 of my rears and they are still true and holding up after 4 years. Unfortunatly I can not run aluminum wheels up here in the Winter since the magnesium chloride deicer they use on the roads up here tends to eat aluminum and stainless steel. The guys with aluminum wheels on their cars either have to buy steel wheels for the Winter or wash their cars at least once a week to clean the crap off. Since it doesn't get above freezing for a month or so at a time it is not an option with the Ural to wash it off.