Surplus Sidecar Dilemma

I had a brillant idea based on having done a couple of sidecar additions to walk-in customers who had non-Dnepr solo motorcycles, wanting to add a sidecar, in the event a Dnepr sidecar, to their vehicle. This was accomplished and I decided that hordes of ageing solo riding dudes would soon be wanting to do the same thing. Three wheels better than two wheels.

Last year a container shipment from Ukraine made it through the Port of Oakland and along with a lot of other parts it contained 10 primer painted sidecars, frames, lights, wheels, spare wheels, most of the mounting hardware (but not all) and not seats at all. My Ukrainian colleague, a great guy who I have worked with for over 5 years, admitted the error, all good, but the problem remains what to do with the incomplete sidecar "kits" which are otherwise okay.

For example, what price should I ask? They are unwieldy to say the least, and shipping will cost some kapusta.

Thanks for any input.

Mitch Brown

Vostok Motors Sacramento

post-1477-0-78097800-1332399146_thumb.jpg

post-1477-0-24659400-1332399159_thumb.jpg

I had a brillant idea based on having done a couple of sidecar additions to walk-in customers who had non-Dnepr solo motorcycles, wanting to add a sidecar, in the event a Dnepr sidecar, to their vehicle. This was accomplished and I decided that hordes of ageing solo riding dudes would soon be wanting to do the same thing. Three wheels better than two wheels.

Last year a container shipment from Ukraine made it through the Port of Oakland and along with a lot of other parts it contained 10 primer painted sidecars, frames, lights, wheels, spare wheels, most of the mounting hardware (but not all) and not seats at all. My Ukrainian colleague, a great guy who I have worked with for over 5 years, admitted the error, all good, but the problem remains what to do with the incomplete sidecar "kits" which are otherwise okay.

For example, what price should I ask? They are unwieldy to say the least, and shipping will cost some kapusta.

Thanks for any input.

Mitch Brown

Vostok Motors Sacramento

Seats seem hard to find in Ukraine, so your colleague didn't forget them. Ukarinian craftsmen repairing old iron spring matresses should not find it hard to produce Dnepr seat sets.

Thanks for any input.

Mitch Brown

Vostok Motors Sacramento

Seats seem hard to find in Ukraine, so your colleague didn't forget them. Ukarinian craftsmen repairing old iron spring matresses should not find it hard to produce Dnepr seat sets.

I saw similar kits, including unlaced wheels, on sale on EBay, from CWT, for $1200 or $1500, can't remember exactly, palletized for shipping.

Here on the East Coast I've seen Ural and Dnepr cars in good shape, working lights, good tire,spare, ready to bolt on for $1100-2000 on Craigslist and the IBMWRA.

Hope that's some help!

Now, got any M72 brake shoes for sale?

Mr. Brown,

Greetings Sir....

We will pass the word.. I agree with the other fine gentlemen here- $1,200 or so should be easy to get.

The "motor company" no longer makes the sidecars for the FLH bikes. The 'nipper sidecar would look the business on a Electraglide.. If it just had a reverse gear...

Otherwise, you babies are all doing well in Pride, Louisiana..

All the best Sir...

Bob in Pride.

SB#3 here..

Making suitable seats would not be a difficult thing - I just checked the seat in my GU and think I could make a better one very easily. Vinyl is easy to get, firm foam layers easy to cut, and plywood for the base to attach the shaped vinyl to.

To all who are contemmplating a "seatless" side car, I would advise you to contact Rich Maud, Rich is a craftsman of considerable talents, he specializes in motor cyle seats and such, He made a set of seats for my 94 Ural, pleated and perfect from scratch. If you have a seat missing or needs repairing contact Rich, he is the go-to guy for this kind of work.....Ken :smileywaving:

• 2 weeks later...

Seats are easy to make, made one for my seatless tub. Of course it's a bit tall and looks more like a stool... Rich M is the right guy for sure! Sidecars should be a good sell, just wait till summer gets near. Posting on ADV rider should help too. I would love to keep one and mate it to a sportster!