Should i swap my 1988 Dnepr for a Ranger/gearup 2005 ?

meier

I have had my russian beast Dnepr mt11 for around 4 years - It have performed ok ... small repairs...clutch screws loose, cables snap, bolts coming out off reardrive ect ect ... but all in all fixable :-)

So NOW i see for sale a 2005 Ural ranger/gear up ...pretty good price only 8000 km ..

Actually i also thought of buying an even older dnepr like an mb750 or a m72 ...

But but ... how good is the 2005 gear-up... I have never seen one for real they are very very rare in denmark...

How is the new quality ?? nuts/bolts, cables, paint, electrics, rims/spokes, bearings ...ect ect ..

Is the new 2005 models way way better quality than my old beast ?? :-) ...

Do they still need fiddling the valves, bearings , and other adjustments or ??

I really dont know maby i have been lucky with my dnepr mt11, but it actually have been driving , starting ect ok - but on the other hand never dared talking it for a long trip....

2005 Gear up should have better build quality than your old Dnepr, not as good as the post 2007, but pretty good!

Folks abuse them mercilessly over here, final drives are not to fond of heavy abuse, but they never are, regardless of year.

I do know this, I';ve replaced my 88 Harley twice, the replacements were both better bikes, funny thing the replacements are gone but my 88 remains....

There is nothing logical about loving older bikes. Guess it's what you get comfortable with.

I would be tempted to add rather than replace, that way, if you end up not riding one, it can be sold and you still have the one you really like...glad I did that with my aging HD...

Particulars: Electrics, much better, nuts/bolts are off the shelf stuff now (better), paint (generally great), rims/spokes well, it's still a Ural think they are rounder than they used to be not as round as the new stuff the spokes are huge and down right good, uses REAL bearings and can be upgraded to even better tapered ones if it does not have them already. Still have to adjust the valves, but the alternator won't take out your engine anymore! Like I said, it's still a Ural, just a newer one built with better stuff...even my 2011 needs to have its valves adjusted (but not the wheel bearings, for instance, think a 2005 still does).

Good luck, let us know what you decided to do.

Thanks m8 - Good reply :-)

I actually is gonna keep the dnepr i think ..it was a cheap buy.. :) and one day i dream of building it into a diesel hack ;-)

So i was trying to investigate - the differences in the bikes pre 2007 and post - I know there are things like the herzog gears, ducati ign, Brembo discs, Sachs absorbers ect

But are there overall differences in the quality of the parts pre vs post 2007 ??

I think i could upgrade to many of these parts along the road if the parts on the bike should fail..

And are there any parts in particular that should be watched out for on a 2005 ..

... I sure will post pics and tell more :-)

2005 Gear up should have better build quality than your old Dnepr, not as good as the post 2007, but pretty good!

Folks abuse them mercilessly over here, final drives are not to fond of heavy abuse, but they never are, regardless of year.

I do know this, I';ve replaced my 88 Harley twice, the replacements were both better bikes, funny thing the replacements are gone but my 88 remains....

There is nothing logical about loving older bikes. Guess it's what you get comfortable with.

I would be tempted to add rather than replace, that way, if you end up not riding one, it can be sold and you still have the one you really like...glad I did that with my aging HD...

Particulars: Electrics, much better, nuts/bolts are off the shelf stuff now (better), paint (generally great), rims/spokes well, it's still a Ural think they are rounder than they used to be not as round as the new stuff the spokes are huge and down right good, uses REAL bearings and can be upgraded to even better tapered ones if it does not have them already. Still have to adjust the valves, but the alternator won't take out your engine anymore! Like I said, it's still a Ural, just a newer one built with better stuff...even my 2011 needs to have its valves adjusted (but not the wheel bearings, for instance, think a 2005 still does).

Good luck, let us know what you decided to do.

I had an 05 and loved it - didn't have any problems with it for in the years I owned it, except the valves needed adjusting, got a flat in the hack, and the petcock did strange things before I changed it for a real petcock. The gear shift broke, and got welded, and the left hand front indicator broke off.. Other than that it was a great bike that spent most of it's time off road.

It was a 1wd when I bought it, then converted into a 2wd a couple of months later.

I had an 05 and loved it - didn't have any problems with it for in the years I owned it, except the valves needed adjusting, got a flat in the hack, and the petcock did strange things before I changed it for a real petcock. The gear shift broke, and got welded, and the left hand front indicator broke off.. Other than that it was a great bike that spent most of it's time off road.

It was a 1wd when I bought it, then converted into a 2wd a couple of months later.

Cool ride.. ;-) What are those exhausts - I like that design ..it looks like the one on the red october, or the sahara...very nice

..I think i go for it, I had doubts if i should wait and see if there was a 2007 for sale ..any that ofcourse will be more expensive ..and it seems like the quality is genrally a whole lot better than the dnepr quality of things im use to :-)