To all Americans...

Pete Swede

If you like this place... Please give me 20 minutes of your time and watch this video.

You that live in USA can pick up your phone and help to save this site and the free speech in the whole world...

I could understand if I where doing this aimed at China or Iran... But I have to talk with USA about... FREEDOM!!!???

Please give me 20 minutes... It's very important!!!

If you don't like cynical Brits, read Wikipedia, their entire site is blacked out for 24 hours... Is Wikipedia a good thing for the whole world? Would you miss it if it where gone?... Would you miss this site if it was closed down?...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Learn_more

Spread the word everywhere you can... Facebook, twitter and everywhere you can get heard... This can't happen!!!

//Pete

this is an extremely complex, convoluted issue- no doubt about that. But I suspect, the "corporations" are really not much more than useful idiots, serving a more sinister group. Let me explain. Here in the U.S. we are in the early stages of an election that is of critical importance to both of our major political parties. The politicians of both parties rely on public perception for their very survival. The traditional media have been working hand in hand with the government for decades, providing the necessary public preception required by both parties. The traditional media has been reliable and comfortable to work with, and has proven to be easy to manipulate in order to serve the needs of the government. What scares both parties spitless is an internet over which they have no control. Until now.

The corporations provide useful cover, and are more than happy to provide support for this project. They have something to gain from this legislation, and they also serve to give the whole thing credibility. But they don't want this half as much as our government does right now- what with congress's approval rating at 11% (lowest in history), a major election looming and things ready to blow up both at home and abroad. The last thing they want or need is an independent source of information, available to everyone.

The government wants this so bad they can taste it... and are prepaired to do whatever must be done to get it. Even if it means ticking off the rest of the world. What can we do? I truly don't know... but I think we're in too deep to vote ourselves out.

Rant off.

PeteT.

To get in contact with your congress critters you can use this link -

http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml

Just remember Stross’s Syllogism: 1. Something must be done. 2. This is something. 3. Therefore, this must be done. It seems more and more of out politicians are doing this.

John

This is what I sent in via on-line form to my US Representative. Feel free to copy and paste. Don't let anymore of our freedoms vanish, guys!

Dear ___________,

Please vote AGAINST the SOPA bill 3261. Please do not let our freedoms erode more than they already have under this and the previous administration in the name of state security and corporate interests. Please continue to represent the average citizen and fight for the free exchange of information and ideas.

Earnestly,

This is what I sent in via on-line form to my US Representative. Feel free to copy and paste. Don't let anymore of our freedoms vanish, guys!

Dear ___________,

Please vote AGAINST the SOPA bill 3261. Please do not let our freedoms erode more than they already have under this and the previous administration in the name of state security and corporate interests. Please continue to represent the average citizen and fight for the free exchange of information and ideas.

Earnestly,

I did a copy-and-paste and sent it to my congressman, who I think is a bit of an ass. But what are you gonna do? He's the only congressman I have.

Peter

Several million folks let themselves be known to congress yesterday. Several congressmen, including one of the original authors have pulled their support.

Big tired dying (but still very powerful) media companies are behind this. Short sighted as ever and explains why most of these businesses won't be around for very much longer.

and one good sign, could not get to one of my senators yesterday, later found out he blacked out his web sight...think he got the point.