Would yoiu ever consider it?

Warthog

Renting Urals in the Baltics  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Pick all those that apply to you, please!

• I have a sidecar but might rent one abroad.
    • I?d ride/ship my own there, rather than rent.
    • If I did, I?d be alone.
    • I'd drag some mates along, for sure!
    • If I rented, I'd pick my own route.
    • If I rented, I'd consider having stuff organised.

I think the real answer to your question would be in marketing your product. ....

Your advertising would also have to create confidence in your product. What happens if something goes wrong, what about liability etc. I would be reluctant to trust any Soviet bike further than I could throw it without doing mechanical preparation/assessment myself before I went anywhere on it. But I admit I am strange.

Market will, absolutely, be crucial! We would need to work on a very sound support service without being intrusive to their experience...

As for the Russian built bike quandry... well, I'd hope that we would have pretty recent bikes: after the improvements around 2005. That should help limit the chances of mechanical problems and any Ural affecionados , for example, would probably know the bikes were pretty sound and hopefully pout their minds at rest! At least that would be the plan!!

:feelssogood:

I have rented a Ural and it was organized. 12 of us on 6 Urals followed by a van with 2 mecanics, 2 cooks, a doctor, a body guard and a translator, in Irbit Sibera 2004.

Graham and Julie Meyer ran a sidcar retal opperation for a couple of years in Australia. For insurance reasons they had to follow the rentors in a 4x4. you may want to contact them. Go to the Russian Iron Down Under forum. It's run by GMBM. That's Graham. Click on the run by and send him a pm.

Wow! That is quite the entourage!

I'd hope, with the possible exception of roadside assistance, we could be a bit more hands-off and let the punters enjoy their rides, unless they wanted our involvement.

Was it a positive experience?

To be repeated or avoided?

Anything you'd have done or had them do differently?

It was a positive experiance. On the second day the Russians crapped out because it was 95 degrees and too hot for them. We ended up going to a museum of sorts and were told we could ride any where we liked. We were supposed to ride the rented riggs into the Irbit International Motorcycle Show but they took them away because 2 of them had been rolled. One of those was by the jr mechanic. This annoyed me because I was there to ride. We ended up being dropped off at the show in 2 minivans. I decied to realy get drunk which was not hard, all of the motorcycle clubs were happy to see the Americans. All but the "Black Knives", they did not like us . I did not expect that since their colors are in english.

To be avoided, Don't let vodka fueled Russians take to one woman in your group for a ride to show off.

I have rented a Ural and it was organized. 12 of us on 6 Urals followed by a van with 2 mecanics, 2 cooks, a doctor, a body guard and a translator, in Irbit Sibera 2004.

Graham and Julie Meyer ran a sidcar retal opperation for a couple of years in Australia. For insurance reasons they had to follow the rentors in a 4x4. you may want to contact them. Go to the Russian Iron Down Under forum. It's run by GMBM. That's Graham. Click on the run by and send him a pm.

Wow! That is quite the entourage!

I'd hope, with the possible exception of roadside assistance, we could be a bit more hands-off and let the punters enjoy their rides, unless they wanted our involvement.

Was it a positive experience?

To be repeated or avoided?

Anything you'd have done or had them do differently?

It was a positive experiance. On the second day the Russians crapped out because it was 95 degrees and too hot for them. We ended up going to a museum of sorts and were told we could ride any where we liked. We were supposed to ride the rented riggs into the Irbit International Motorcycle Show but they took them away because 2 of them had been rolled. One of those was by the jr mechanic. This annoyed me because I was there to ride. We ended up being dropped off at the show in 2 minivans. I decied to realy get drunk which was not hard, all of the motorcycle clubs were happy to see the Americans. All but the "Black Knives", they did not like us . I did not expect that since their colors are in english.

To be avoided, Don't let vodka fueled Russians take to one woman in your group for a ride to show off.

You should have vodka fueled and taken off with one of the Black Knives' women to show off to her, then they would have respected you! :feelssogood:

C

All but the "Black Knives", they did not like us . I did not expect that since their colors are in english.

Would you happen to have a picture of their colors?

No I don't sorry. It's hand with a black knife held in a downward stabbing position the Black Knives written around the out side.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a shameless bump...

Basically, if anyone has read my intro and has a thought on my idea, PLEASE tick a few boxes and vote!!

The poll is very interesting to me as far as getting an idea of the appeal. So if you've the time to vote, I'd really appreciate it!

TO all those who've offered their ideas and views: thank you very much!!