The Trials & Tribulations of Black Powder Shooting

GAVNO

A mate of mine in TX gave me these links and info...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com

http://www.dixiegunworks.com is another.

Cheaper than dirt is in TX.

DGW is in Tennessee.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these are the people you need to talk to black powder is all they do you can make you own gun from scratch. they sell every thing and can help they even have a museum on site that shows how are for fathers made them , this place is not to far from me they were a big help when i made my first front loader . just be careful that when they left the powder in your gun that it did not eat out the breach to much and if it is really old it could be shot out , you could over fill or leave a void when loading the powder and cause a danger if fired . use the right black powder there are many typed 1f,2f,3f priming powder and they all have a different use BE CAREFUL and use the right amount of grains for the caliber and bullet weight . it just mite stay a wall hanger

this web site does not do this place Justis you have to see it to be leave it . i have been by there when there having a reenactment and its like going through a time warp

http://www.logcabinshop.com/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gavno, next time you see Misery Lou (Erik) at a Dairy land bout get my number from him. I'll bring you some powder. Heck if you know a place to shoot I'll come up with my smoke sticks!

cheers,

chriso

• 2 months later...

In the meantime... I've gotta take a trip over to Morris Heifitz, the local Dealer in Scrap Metal, to hopefully locate some scrap containing pure lead to use as the basic fodder for bullet making.

A cast iron melting pot and dipper have been obtained, and my old gasoline blowtorch is at the ready, as are molds for casting round balls (225 grains) as well as Civil War style Minieballs (430 grains) for deer hunting.

if you want lead, bill Howard at the Howard academy in stoughton has two tons of lead another reliable source of pure lead is from the dentist office, those little black things they put in your mouth contain sheet of lead.

i just moved to Madison, is there any good ranges in the area, i haven't really looked to hard but there must be at least one.

RW

• 4 weeks later...
Most indoor ranges around me don't cater to black powder guns. They have this tendency to set the range floor on fire from burning crud and stuff which seems to upset em ..... Sometimes they have no sense of humor on this issue ....

:-))

kermitski

You beat me to it. Indoor ranges here black powder is forbidden due to the fire hazard and the fact the smoke pretty much buggers up the lanes to each side of you as well.

I shoot a Ruger Old army revolver in stainless. It is the fastest cleaning gun I have ever had. I take the grips off and pour boiling water with a touch of Dawn dishwashing liquid over it and it is spotless clean in about 30 seconds. let it air dry and put the grips back on. :thumbsup!:

I found out that the local Marine Corps indoor 25 yard range at Camp Allen allows for black powder pistols and rifles. :thumbsup!:

God Bless the Marines.

Their ventilation is excellent and they keep the range very clean so no fire hazzard. Trust the USMC to do it right.

My next range trip will be a black powder only one. :thumbsup!: I have my old Lyman rifle all repaired and ready to go as well as a Traditions .50 caliber Hunter Pistol to test there.

Here's my sweetheart. 1740's German stutzen ("jaeger") rifle. 62 caliber. Many whitetail, including one that made the state record book.

Sarge :thumbsup!:

Aw man Sarge....... That is a work of art!

I just stumbled onto this thread, I guess I've missed a bit.

I have a Sharps 1863 (pederasoli), I love rolling my own paper cartridges. 525 gr "Chrismas tree" bullet in front of 75 gr Goex, wrapped in a ciggy paper, fun! Black powder is definately the way to go. Black powder definately fouls more than Pyrodex, but Pyrodex is more corrosive. Do not fail to clean immediately after shooting Pyrodex. I agree with the boiling water, couple of drops of dish detergent, and alot of swabbing cleans it quick and thorough. Outdoors though, definately outdoors, ugh. I wish I had a good source for beeswax close by, I've not found one. I too prefer beeswax/lard 50/50 for my bullet lube.

Rusty

Additionally, I have quite a bit of recovered bullets/sg slugs if someone wants to melt them down. I know pure lead is preferable for blackpowder, what I have may not be pure lead once it's all melted down. If someone is into casting for other calibers I have about 65 lbs of linotype ready to be mixed in with your wheelweights.

I have a Sharps 1863 (pederasoli), I love rolling my own paper cartridges. 525 gr "Chrismas tree" bullet in front of 75 gr Goex, wrapped in a ciggy paper, fun! Black powder is definately the way to go. Black powder definately fouls more than Pyrodex, but Pyrodex is more corrosive. Do not fail to clean immediately after shooting Pyrodex. I agree with the boiling water, couple of drops of dish detergent, and alot of swabbing cleans it quick and thorough. Outdoors though, definately outdoors, ugh. I wish I had a good source for beeswax close by, I've not found one. I too prefer beeswax/lard 50/50 for my bullet lube.

Rusty

Any local beekeeper will have it. Look up honey in the Yellow Pages.

Peter

Rusty

Go to the local plumbing supply store and buy wax rings used to seal toilet to sewage pipe. They're beeswax.