Gas Tank Liner

Iron Mike

Does anyone know of a pour in gas tank liner that will hold up when used with ethanol / gasoline fuels that we get at the pump these days ? I'm hearing bad stuff about some of the products I've used sucessfully in the past like the liner material partially disolving and gumming up carbs etc because of the ethanol in the gas.

I have a tank I want to do but not till I can find a good liner for it.

Does anyone know of a pour in gas tank liner that will hold up when used with ethanol / gasoline fuels that we get at the pump these days ? I'm hearing bad stuff about some of the products I've used sucessfully in the past like the liner material partially disolving and gumming up carbs etc because of the ethanol in the gas.

I have used this stuff on 3 different bikes. One of them had pinholes that I epoxied and then sealed. I cleaned the inside with 1/4" ball bearings and dish soap. Rinsed and rinsed with water. Flushed with alcohol and let dry for 2 or 3 days....very happy with results, lasted at least 3 years on the last one I did.

post-8029-1267499160_thumb.jpg

I have used this stuff on 3 different bikes. One of them had pinholes that I epoxied and then sealed. I cleaned the inside with 1/4" ball bearings and dish soap. Rinsed and rinsed with water. Flushed with alcohol and let dry for 2 or 3 days....very happy with results, lasted at least 3 years on the last one I did.

Does that mean it failed after 3 years? I'd hope to get longer than that. Or its still going fine after 3?

Does that mean it failed after 3 years? I'd hope to get longer than that. Or its still going fine after 3?

I don't have the bike anymore......I read something years ago about the performance of this product, in fuel cells,gas tanks,hot rods,farm eqip etc.....I can not find the article anymore but the stuff is supposed to be real good. Worked like a charm and as things like this go the prep was very important. Maybe you can find some reviews online??

My 2 cents for what its worth, probably not even 2 cents. I have never tried any tank liner systems but have thought about it. At this point in life I decided it to be a bad idea and I will explain my conclusion. In my line of work I often deal with various metal coatings systems in various marine and industrial applications. Lots of times dealing with top of the line stuff, (VERY EXPENSIVE!). Sooner or later ALL these coatings fail. Often its sooner than later. I could envision a tank liner to start debonding and flaking after a couple of years causing problems with clogged fuel flow. At this point most of the liner will still be holding good and cannot be easily removed. But it will become a ongoing issue as this liner peals off fouling up the fuel system.

I think your better off cleaning out the inside of the tank as well as possible. For a helpful hint, you can fill the tank up with vinegar for a day or two and it will eat up all the rust. Acid based toilet bowl cleaner will make short work of rust. Then rinse out with water followed by alcohol. After putting the tank back in service, make it a point to keep it full of gas. I think a lot of the heavy inner tank corrosion is the result of sitting long periods of time empty.

Mike

All good responses and all food for thought. In the past POR 15 was one of the liners that I used with good results and it lasted for years, now it is one of the products that I'm hearing is not doing well with ethanol !

O rings , plastic floats, fuel line, tank liners, I sure wish they would get the corn squeezin's out of our gas. :bomb:

I have used both Kreme and POR15 with excellent results and no failiures over the years. The key to both is good tank prep! It has to be clean and dry before you line it!

Kreme will kill brain cells. Use a respirator or you will die. Seriously. Its that bad. POR15 doesn't kick out fumes the way Kreme does.

I POR15'd my Retro tank five years ago. Still looks like the day I did it.

Kreme will turn from off white to a light tan over the years inside the tank. But otherwise I have noted no failures of it.

I have used both Kreme and POR15 with excellent results and no failiures over the years. The key to both is good tank prep! It has to be clean and dry before you line it!

Kreme will kill brain cells. Use a respirator or you will die. Seriously. Its that bad. POR15 doesn't kick out fumes the way Kreme does.

I POR15'd my Retro tank five years ago. Still looks like the day I did it.

Kreme will turn from off white to a light tan over the years inside the tank. But otherwise I have noted no failures of it.

I will keep these coatings in mind Rich if the rust monster rears its ugly head again. So far with my oldest tank, I have found cleaning as I described to be good for several years without problems.

Mike