Another Newbie!

go.warcat

Just wanted to throw my 2 bits in. I just got a used 08 gear-up yesterday. Bought it from IRBIT motorworks in Redmond, WA. It was a "factory demo" with 18 months of warranty. Had my first ride today of over 125 km...

1st impressions: take some time adjusting to the clunk of the gear changes. At first I was VERY disillusioned, but soon was figuring out how to pause and match engine speed to take some of the clunkyness out of my shifts. I'm sure it will get better. Just remember you are riding somewhat of a "vintage" machine. My confidence with accelerating and braking and cornering dramatically as my experience increased. I wanted to go to the snow today, but was glad I chose to stay on dry pavement and learn some basics. It was cold today. Around 40 degrees. I am used to a windshield on my motorcycle and missed the comfort from the wind that it provides. This will certainly be one of my first accessories. Also my wife rode monkey with me and strongly votes for a sidecar windshield as well. All in all it was a GREAT first day on the URAL and I can see my poor KLR starting to suffer from neglect in the future.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did you get your '08 Gear Up, Mark? What exactly is a "factory demo"? Sounds very promising though!!

Thanks for the FYI on your ride. It's nice to know that the clunk of the gears will be there. I'm sure this has something to do w/the "vintage" aspect of things, huh? I can't wait to get the confidence myself. My class this THIS up and coming weekend and I can't wait! WOOT! THat means 8 more days until I can pick up my Ural!! Order up your windshield ... and one for your wife as well. Glad you had a great 1st day out.

By riding your rig, you are doing the final machining. As parts smooth together, you will notice that the transmission will shift more smoothly as time goes on. It's the same with the engine, new, they are pretty tight, but as it breaks in and loosens up, you will notice that it will have more power and get better milage.

Dave

Tracy, The story I got was that two dealers from Japan came over to tour the US on Urals. They picked up the bikes in Wisconsin and rode to Washington to a dealer meeting. Hence the term "factory demo". They were advertised on Craigs list and I bought the Gear-up on Friday the 13th. They still have a 08 Patrol. I struggled with which on to get, but most folks I have ridden urals with have said to get the Gear-up, so I did. We will have to get together for a ride once you get comfortable on yours. Mark

Dave; It's nice to know that as time goes on things will smooth out a bit. I can't wait to hear the 1st sounds of my rig!! More power / better mileage as time goes on, too?! Hot damn!

Mark; What a great story of where your Gear Up came from!! And what a great place to start out from (Wisconsin) and what a better place to end up (Washington). Friday the 13th!? OUTSTANDING! I noticed yesterday that I bought my Jeep on September 13th and my Ural on October 13th! It's a good number!

>We will have to get together for a ride once you get comfortable on yours.

Can't wait! My 1st sidecar class starts this Friday (6pm - 9pm). I am OVER EXCITED! Can't wait!

TRACER

7 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My OFFICIAL URAL SAHARA PICK UP DATE has arrived!! 24Nov09!!

So much for having my heart set on the 23rd. It's ready to go but I am needed at work and I couldn't get the day off. Crapcakes!!!!!!! So I am back UP to a count of 6 days. I am told that after it's washed they will send me more pictures. Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait!

Jeep Update; I SHOULD have my rig back tomorrow. What a royal PITA all of that has been, too! :thumbsup!:

Went out today for my first ride in snow. The two wheel drive is a must for deep snow!!!! Would not have been nearly as brave had not Barry (windmill) run into us at the filling station on our way to the pass on the hunt for snow. At times the snow was packed tight around the footpegs and sidecar. What a blast!!!post-8741-1258776333_thumb.jpgpost-8741-1258776311_thumb.jpg

12:41am and I am STILL awake! Ugh! 1st day of the sidecar class. It was a ball but I have a LOT to read!! I still have some stuff to go over but I am BEAT! I will get hardly any sleep tonight. *wah* Written test is already tomorrow! *gulp* Got all my ducks in a row. I'm ready!!

Mark ... I LOVED the pictures!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting them!! It looked like a ball! I wish I knew what the hell I was doing ... I'd ask to go with!! Glad you guys found some snow. This weekend is going to be crap filled (weather wise) so I'm sure the mountians will be getting nailed.

Off to get some sleep!!

Went out today for my first ride in snow. The two wheel drive is a must for deep snow!!!! Would not have been nearly as brave had not Barry (windmill) run into us at the filling station on our way to the pass on the hunt for snow. At times the snow was packed tight around the footpegs and sidecar. What a blast

Jeez, I'm so happy we don't have that WHITE STUFF here, we would need 2WD. Been 40+C here this week. Cheers, Guinness time. Rob.