Gone to the Dark side

scrinch

Yesterday we turned our Ural 2005 Tourist over to Mark Allen. We will be riding a Harley Road King w sidecar from now on. But, every time I jumped onto the Ural I would again fall in love with her. She was just a really fun bike and I would have kept her if time , space, and money allowed, but I feel good knowing her new owner will take care of her and have a great time.

May the force be with you, and ride safe.

When you said you went to the dark side, I was thinking you put some Lucas Electrical stuff on you bike!

Don't feel bad, I often wonder what it would be like to have a Goldwing with a California Friendship III sidecar on it, and the ability to haul the whole family, down the Interstate, in comfort, without being runover by the cagers...

"Don't feel bad, I often wonder what it would be like to have a Goldwing with a California Friendship III sidecar on it, and the ability to haul the whole family, down the Interstate, in comfort, without being runover by the cagers..."

Well, three years ago I had a 1995 'Wing with a Hannigan Astro car. With the exception of the absent Cruise Control, I prefer the Ural. The Hannigan was HUGE and despite all its luxury aspects (wide seat, removable hardtop, etc.) my wife found it terribly hot just about every time we went out with it. It was sold after two years.

...........................samwise

"Don't feel bad, I often wonder what it would be like to have a Goldwing with a California Friendship III sidecar on it, and the ability to haul the whole family, down the Interstate, in comfort, without being runover by the cagers..."

Well, three years ago I had a 1995 'Wing with a Hannigan Astro car. With the exception of the absent Cruise Control, I prefer the Ural. The Hannigan was HUGE and despite all its luxury aspects (wide seat, removable hardtop, etc.) my wife found it terribly hot just about every time we went out with it. It was sold after two years.

For what I do, I still prefer the Ural, but if it came down to including the family, the 'Wing would win. The Ural is just not conducive to hauling four people down the highway.

Old Ural habits die hard. I have noticed on the Harley Road King I still :

Try to turn it off with a non existent key near the head light

Try to find neutral by pushing on the non existent reverse lever.

Shift by picking my foot all the way off the floorboard and pressing firmly on the rear of the shift rocker

Haven't passed a car

Haven't gone over 60 mph

Worry about noises that I have not noticed before.

:thumbsup!:

For what I do, I still prefer the Ural, but if it came down to including the family, the 'Wing would win. The Ural is just not conducive to hauling four people down the highway.

They haul more than 4 people down the highway, you are just on the wrong highway :thumbsup!:

I watched a carpenter in Thickvihn Russia build a addition to a house and hauled all the wood for it on a Ural

They haul more than 4 people down the highway, you are just on the wrong highway :thumbsup!:

I watched a carpenter in Thickvihn Russia build a addition to a house and hauled all the wood for it on a Ural

Oh, I believe it. If It was only me that rode on the Ural, I would keep my cargo box on there all the time. But those pesky daughters (seven and ten) keep on wanting me to take them on rides! :feelssogood:

Old Ural habits die hard. I have noticed on the Harley Road King I still :

Try to turn it off with a non existent key near the head light

Try to find neutral by pushing on the non existent reverse lever.

Shift by picking my foot all the way off the floorboard and pressing firmly on the rear of the shift rocker

Haven't passed a car

Haven't gone over 60 mph

Worry about noises that I have not noticed before.

:unsure2:

Well, now you'll have a new set of noises to worry about. By the time you hear amplified tap dancing or metals shards in a bingo ball-spinner, it's already too late, you've blown your motor. From the experienced rider of 6 Harleys with 10 blown motors.

Anyway, you're still in the hack club if not the foilhead division.

P.S. keep a close eye on the front tire, as hacked Harleys eat them up pretty quickly.

Quote -"Well, now you'll have a new set of noises to worry about. By the time you hear amplified tap dancing or metals shards in a bingo ball-spinner, it's already too late, you've blown your motor. From the experienced rider of 6 Harleys with 10 blown motors."

6 Harleys and 10 blown motors ?? WTF ? You don't even see that at the track with HD's XR 750 race bikes. Shovel's and Pan's could be a little trouble prone but even they seldom blew unless they were really clapped out or built to the hilt.

Evo's and Twin Cams will run forever with a little care.

Gotta check that oil once in a while Queenie. :unsure2:

Pardon me, I should learn to qualify the "speaking voice" in my posts. :unsure2: Not one of them was mine...they were my monkey's. He hot-rodded all of them and rode them hard, about 100,000 miles all told. I personally don't do the Harley thing or the hot-rod thing. Of the bikes I've owned, I traded in one and still have the other two!

On another note, I absolutely love how well the Ural performs in the cool weather! 41 degrees this morning, the Honda wouldn't start, but the 'beast fired right up! I should expect that given the Siberian heritage! :unsure2:

Yes! I don't know why but my Ural (And myself) love it when it's on the cold side. Here in Florida we are now starting to get that nice cool San Diego type weather.... :thumbsup!:

You are missing all the fun of going out in 0 degree weather, pulling the enrichers, giving the starter a short blurp and listening to that cold sleeping beastie come to life. Then you know that you got it tuned right!

:thumbsup!: