Dnepr K750 Gearbox Change-Out: Other STuff To Do?

MG34Biker

OK, I finally got this Dnepr Gearbox with Reverse from Roman at EchoKg:

I am Ass-U-Me-ing it is an MT-9 Gearbox with Reverse.

I am disabled, so would like to do this right the first time. While the pack is cracked open is there anything else I should do to increase the reliability and durability?

How does one set the gear change quadrants on this type gearbox?

What is the proper method for engaging the reverse gear?

Should this gearbox have the "Dnepr-Glide" function from 2-3, 3-4?

I would flush it through with parrafin to get any swarf left from its manufacture out. Yup, that box will fit an Mt9. The quardrants are fixed and not adjustable. Put the box into neutral then move the lever on the right FORWARD to engage reverse. The Dneprglide automatic clutch works on all gears except reverse. Be generous with the oil changes for the first 1000km.

• 3 months later...
I would flush it through with parrafin to get any swarf left from its manufacture out. Yup, that box will fit an Mt9. The quardrants are fixed and not adjustable. Put the box into neutral then move the lever on the right FORWARD to engage reverse. The Dneprglide automatic clutch works on all gears except reverse. Be generous with the oil changes for the first 1000km.

Thank you, Brother! I've been waiting 2 months for a gasket/seal kit from Roman. Don't want to miss this summer, too. Git 'er done!

This is a good G-box, well made, and it has the bird nest air filter, this set up is great in that it absorbs some heat from the gear box, which aids in vaporization of fuel, and also avoids most if not all carb ice problems if you live in an area, that is prone to have those conditions, you have a winner, like most things Russian, the gears have to wear in, to like one another, use a good synthetic gear oil or MObil one 20-50, you will get more HP to the rear wheel, and will wear in better IMHO, If you shud have any problem getting it into reverse, move the primary shift lever about in the neutral, and you will find the sweet spot where it slides in easy, as I said, it take awhile to get things worn in ......Ken :biggrin:

This is a good G-box, well made, and it has the bird nest air filter, this set up is great in that it absorbs some heat from the gear box, which aids in vaporization of fuel, and also avoids most if not all carb ice problems if you live in an area, that is prone to have those conditions, you have a winner, like most things Russian, the gears have to wear in, to like one another, use a good synthetic gear oil or MObil one 20-50, you will get more HP to the rear wheel, and will wear in better IMHO, If you shud have any problem getting it into reverse, move the primary shift lever about in the neutral, and you will find the sweet spot where it slides in easy, as I said, it take awhile to get things worn in ......Ken :biggrin:

If your old gear box is an Ural or old K750 gear box, the new Dnepr gear box may be longer and you need to shorten the drive shaft, or need a new Dnepr drive shaft (depends on wich rear drive you got).

Yes, thank you. When I ordered the gearbox, I also bought the shorter cardan, but the seller forgot to ship. Now I'm waiting over 2 months for the cardan and clutch disc screws from the first order, plus a set of gaskets/seals.

I'm committing the ultimate heresy, mounting the drive train, controls and hack from this bike onto a NOS PLA CJ750 frame.

Heresy, nah. They're all Comrades. It's th Taiwan electronics that might not be welcomed (or maybe it is if you try separate the Taiwan stuff from the Chinese frame and call it a second bike), anyway paint it UN blue and I'm sure it all run very efficiently!

Heresy, nah. They're all Comrades. It's th Taiwan electronics that might not be welcomed (or maybe it is if you try separate the Taiwan stuff from the Chinese frame and call it a second bike), anyway paint it UN blue and I'm sure it all run very efficiently!

Nothing but the finest Brazillian-made German Bosch electronics for my "rig-n-a-half"

Talk about a freakin' hack. That word was invented years ago, just for me decades later.

An experienced mind has convinced this young Padawan, to not remove the rear shock mount gussets..........

Drove up to Longmont :feelssogood: , I mean Ft Collins (lol) yesterday, hung out with Marcus for a bit. Got some goodies to help kit out the CJ750 Frame. Thanks, man! :beerchug:

Tuesday night I tore down most of the K750, discovered 3 of the 4 bolt holes in the final drive cover were stripped out, good thing I got the NOS CJ version.

I still can't get the cardan to pull clear of the hockey puck/connector.

Next task, pull the engine and crack the gearbox.