Ural tyres/tires in Australia

GMBM

I dropped into a tiny motorcycle shop coming home from our outback ride last week and asked about prices of tyres. The owner imports them direct from Germany, real outfit tyres 19x4.00 that he assures me are superior quality and priced around $100 each. I'm going to pick some up next week and will post more info. Sounds all too good to be true but I've been assured it is.

We rode 169k's due south last week with an absolutely howling SW wind and destroyed the pusher, total k's out of this original Russian pusher, 1,820k's, that's why I had to find a cheaper source of tyres than Avons at $185 plus freight......

(The wind often got us down to 60k's full throttle and holding the handlebars was an extreme task for the 2.5 hours it took us to cover the distance.)

Nasty hot north wind and dust just before the wind changed SW as we turned to head south

Is that tiny motorcycle shop in Birdwood?

Yes, Bill's Bit & Bikes, a shop that I can totally relate too. They seem to put service ahead of making the big profits unlike the mainstream shops. And they understand what real bikes are about.....

Helpful bloke and makes the effort to find what you are looking for, we just need to persuade him to stock Ural parts next. I only live eight kilometers down the road in Gumeracha.

If these tyres are Heidenaus, I do recommend them. :thumbsup!:

Thierry

Helpful bloke and makes the effort to find what you are looking for, we just need to persuade him to stock Ural parts next. I only live eight kilometers down the road in Gumeracha.

If these tyres are Heidenaus, I do recommend them. :thumbsup!:

Thierry

Yes, I reckon that's what they are called. Thanks for the recommendation....

• 3 months later...

Still waiting for the Heidenaus tyres/tires and had to replace my pusher. Avon's don't seem to have a 4.00x19 anymore, just a 3.50x19. So searched the web and came up with a 3.50/4.00 x 19 Excelsior that fits MG TC's and Austin 7's. Looks like the right profile for a sidecar outfit, fits well so now to see how long it lasts.

I thought those excelsior tires weren't rated for much weight?

Still waiting for the Heidenaus tyres/tires and had to replace my pusher. Avon's don't seem to have a 4.00x19 anymore, just a 3.50x19. So searched the web and came up with a 3.50/4.00 x 19 Excelsior that fits MG TC's and Austin 7's. Looks like the right profile for a sidecar outfit, fits well so now to see how long it lasts.

Hi Berger,

The weight rating is lower for the Excelsiors, max load is 500lbs at 26psi where the Russian tyres are 800lbs at 40psi. The weight on the back tire/tyre of the Ural is 350lbs so there is sufficient extra capacity for the rider, but with a pillion or a large camping load the rating would be exceeded. Hopefully the Heidenaus will be available before we head off touring again. What I reckon though is the Ural feels a lot better with the Excelsior on the rear, just seems to be steadier on the road with much less movement in the rear end. Once the Heidenaus arrive the Excelsior will move to the front.

• 6 months later...

Hi Graham,

How did you go with the tyres?

Will be looking for a tryre or two soon,

Any leads will be much appreciated.

Regards David, Victor Harbor.

Bills Bikes got the tyres in but they sent the wrong size so it will probably be several months before he gets some more.

I am also getting desperate for replacements so any suggestions would be appreciated.

You might have to try the duro? from Ural Australia. I was waitng for the Heidenaus so I might have to try them too. Graham can tell more about them as he has used them.

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...
Bills Bikes got the tyres in but they sent the wrong size so it will probably be several months before he gets some more.

I am also getting desperate for replacements so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I went to Brisbane the other day and picked up some Uralshina tyres from Stephen, the original Ural Australia. They were cheap and while they may not last as long as the Duro they are well worth the price. If you or the dealer want to arrange freight, Stephen said he'd pallet them and deliver them to a Brisbane depot. At $50 each complete with tube and rimstrip you can't go wrong.

• 2 months later...