any truth to the story?

so what the work on the story of a cro eating a biker when crossing the stream?

Most likely an urban myth. Salties do eat people, mostly Japanese, German and American tourists - the three groups that most regularly ignore the HUGE multilingual "Do not swim in the crocodile infested water" signs. Though occaisionally a Brit tourist is taken. Snakes, spiders and lack of water are far more dangerous. Listen to Billy Connelly's take on the dangers of Australia - it's hilarious!

How can a hungry crock actually resist a nice big juicy Harley Hog, as a tasty treat? Crocs are meat eaters, so a (hog) may really fit the bill for them....That is, if the veggie lovers have not posted signs that encourage the crocs to steer clear of red meats. :-) When you think about it, the croc may well have enjoyed a Ural Tourist as well. You know that they love tourists. :-) Now, I got to go back and see if I have any wild croc coverage on my insurance policy......that is, if I can catch that silly AFLAC duck and question him. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Seeker,

The animals have more to worry about than you do.

The pic below is just part of the menu at the Outback Parachilna Hotel.....

Even more interesting, here is part of a magazine article from the same area, a restaurant owned by cousin of my wife.

We stopped to refuel and change the driver at the Old Willows Brewery Restaurant, which in spite of its name was not a microbrewery. Apparently the building had once upon a time housed a brewing facility, however, now they only served bottled megabrews. Adding insult to injury, the proprietors informed us that even though it technically was lunch time, there was no food to be had before evening. What's more, this setback was even more lamentable when on the way out we read through the menu anyway and noticed that it included kangaroo testicles. I decided on the spot not to leave this country until I find a restaurant willing to serve me this gourmet delicacy.

• 2 weeks later...

So who going to be the first fool to round Austrailia on a Ural? As for myself i have to wait until age 55( this year in dec.) to get my cash out that if the stockmarket still there. Then ship my bike or buy one there. Shipping means I have a two wheel drive bike for the creeks. .

Let me know if you heard on anyone doing the trip. Seem it's a green light to bring my bike down there and use it. Just have to plan on getting pulled over some of the times as the car on the wrong side for the roads there. Bet my British Columbia road plate get them too.

So how the weather down there here it rain for the winter now.

Planing on seeing the Kimberly range and crossing the Gidd river ford , so two wheel will come in handy. So what can you tell me about the crossing? Hate to flood the engine on the bike.

The crossings on the Gibb River Road change every wet season. If you go the first month after the road re-opens, you'll probably need a lot more than 2WD, a snorkel and periscope most likely. After that a high clearance 2WD car can get through. The side tracks are far more difficult but bikes and outfits have been doing them since the road first opened up in the 1960's. The biggest problem is that most people have no idea of what a bike is capable of and even less a sidecar. When people tell you something is easy or impassible you need more information as to why and make your own judgement. Petrol may be a problem there, as the stations are set-up to deal with cattle road-trains and they run on diesel as do most 4WD.

I did the trip many years ago with a friend in what was probably the only registerable vehicle slower than a Ural, a Haflinger 700, top speed 75km/h. We only engaged 4WD a couple of times and that was on muddy uphill runs that are all sealed nowadays.

Hi Seeker, just for your interest before you start wandering about in rivers in Northern Australia (just joking) :-

"A WEDDING ring is believed to have been found in the stomach of one of the crocodiles suspected of taking Brisbane Vietnam veteran Arthur Booker.

ABC Television reported that X-rays showed a wedding band inside the larger of two crocodiles captured last week in the Endeavour River, Cooktown, as part of the search for Mr Booker.

Three crocodiles were captured last week and taken to Cairns for x-rays - a 4.3m animal weighing about half a tonne and crocodiles 3.5m and 2.6m long.

Examinations cleared one crocodile of involvement in Mr Booker's disappearance, but x-rays were conducted on the remaining two reptiles.

Mr Booker, a Vietnam Veteran, went missing two weeks ago when he went to check a crab pot in the Endeavour River near Cooktown, far north Queensland.

Crocodile slide marks, Mr Booker's watch and footwear were found nearby."

Hi Seeker again,

Some interesting reading on travelling by Ural in Australia. Please note he didn't need 2wd too often.

An interesting ride on a new Ural

After watching the old scarey shows here maybe i should take a blond along the mosters always goes for the girl first..

guess the old pointed stick would not work on a cro. Think i wait at the ford until there a group of us to cross.

Only got large cats and bears here. Dam things play with you first before killing. So I havd to change my death pay to my kids now from the x wife.

well it late here an I off to bead to dream.

After watching the old scarey shows here maybe i should take a blond along the mosters always goes for the girl first..

guess the old pointed stick would not work on a cro. Think i wait at the ford until there a group of us to cross.

Only got large cats and bears here. Dam things play with you first before killing. So I havd to change my death pay to my kids now from the x wife.

well it late here an I off to bead to dream.