Bad news

arbalest

Tuesday, Rick from Bridgeton, Maine, who posts here as PegalegPete, rear ended a Ford Focus. He was thrown from the rig. He was not wearing a helmet. He is currently in an induced coma at Central Maine Medical Center. I do not have an update on his condition, but will post as soon as I have news.

Mike Lydon

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly bad news. Please keep us posted, we'll be rooting for him.

That's terrible news. Gives me a little bit of pause while I'm learning to handle my rig.

We don't have helmet laws here in ID, but it was the first thing I bought even before they delivered the bike.

Let's hope everything works out and he's up and running agin soon.

For me, at least, I think riding a rig somehow gave me a feeling of greater security. I tend to ride slower, and I expect I am more visible, but it shows that if it can happen to an experienced pilot, we are all at risk! I also get the impression that if it goes wrong on a rig, it can get pretty serious, pretty fadst.

My best wishes for a speedy and full recovery to Rick and my thoughts to his family and friends.

Ride safe, people.

Tuesday, Rick from Bridgeton, Maine, who posts here as PegalegPete, rear ended a Ford Focus. He was thrown from the rig. He was not wearing a helmet. He is currently in an induced coma at Central Maine Medical Center. I do not have an update on his condition, but will post as soon as I have news.

Mike Lydon

It's always hard to hear of a fellow rider that's gone down, even more so when the injuries are grave.

He's in my thoughts and prayers.

There's not much one can say except "damn". And then, ya move on to learning what you can from the incident.

ALWAYS RESPECT THE BIKE! I'm not hinting that Pegaleg is guilty of this one (or anything else, for that matter)... but I don't care if you've logged 50,000 miles on a Boss Hoss; even tho a Ural hack rig might feel like a toy to you, IT'S NOT A TOY, and you can never treat it like one. Given careless handling even a lowly, slow little a Ural is MORE than capable of busting you up... BAD.

On that score, I dunno... I'm coming to the conclusion that slightly paranoid newbies like ME are far more likely to survive on bikes than the much more experienced guys out there.

With petrol topping $4.00 a gallon out there, it's obvious that there's an explosion of motorcycles on the road being used for day to day transportation to and from work.

I drive the infamous and notoriously insane Beltline Highway in Mad City on my daily treks. Frankly, I'm appauled by what I'm seeing from my fellow bikers.

Crazy cagers are a given out there; on top of it they're all spooked into even greater dumbness by speed traps and surprise OWI hunts.

I'm seeing guys with $30,000 Harleys in full dress who can't seem to dig up enough extra bread to buy a helmet... not to mention any sort of leather / ballistic nylon, or (my pet gripe) proper footwear.

Typically... one of these guys truckin' along at 65 MPH. He's wearing sunglasses, a teeshirt, old, comfortable jeans, and Reebocks or Nikes. That's it.

The footwear thing is especially amazing. Last week I saw a guy that had a plastic shower slipper between his heel and the rear brake... but he got topped yesterday.

Some dude was shifting with a BEDROOM SLIPPER! He couldn't wear any other sort of shoe because his leg was in a CAST from knee to ankle!

Having to reach work at 0530 every day, I see examples of one I'M guilty of... and will be correcting very soon.

Bikes on the Interstate are VERY difficult to see in the dusk / darkness by a cager when the bike is a dark color, and the rider is wearing dark clothing.

Would a little bit of reflective tape on the ass end of it REALLY spoil the motif of your machine so much?

Well... off of my soapbox for now. :party:

I just get tired of picking up the newspaper each day and reading that ANOTHER out of practice biker got himself smeared into the asphalt here in town.

Sure... ATGATT is a personal choice issue... but IMHO riding with NO protection at all is just plain DUMB.

Remember... even Marlon Brando wore a leather jacket and engineer's boots.

GAVNO

i would like to add my condolences and prayers for pegaleg...i just read gavno and agree from personal experience...hot days i'm tempted to skip body armor but then remember going over car and onto pavement...ride to hospital and nothing but banged knee and sore ribs...the post accident comments i remember...its like riding a bicicyle you gatta lean into the turn ???...or ER doc..whats an old guy like you riding a motorcycle ???...or the 2 gals who told the crowd to shut up..he aint dead yet...i was forunate to be able to have humorous memoreys..good bless pegaleg..hope the same for you..sparta bob..96 tourist

Sure... ATGATT is a personal choice issue... but IMHO riding with NO protection at all is just plain DUMB.

Remember... even Marlon Brando wore a leather jacket and engineer's boots.

GAVNO [/i][/b]

Maybe we can all leave the safety rants for another thread . ........There's a time and a place for that later.

I'm real sorry to hear that, I hope Rick has a full recovery.

I don't know what ATGATT is, it sounds like it has to do with not wearing a helmet.

I have to disagree with Iron Mike, this is the best time to remind others to wear your helmet! If Rick had been wearing his, we wouldn't be reading this thread!

Dave

My 6 years old came out of the house yesterday and yelled at me for starting the bike without my helmet on.

I can see how it happens though. You think "I'm just going to trot around the neighborhood."

But it's that 25 mph trot that is more likely to get you killed. My Ural dealer is 4 blocks from my house. I think they would ex-communicate me if they saw me rolling without a lid.

Is there any news or updates on Rick's condition?